Need some help with my 308..

AtownBcat

I have two loads worked up for my 308. Both are using r-17 and getting outstanding velosities. The first load(and current round being used) is a 180g accubond. My velocity is up over 2615 with .5 accuracy confirmed out to 500 yards. What concerns me about this load is noslers posted min speed of 1800fps. Even with a MV of 2615 that only gets me out a little past 520 yards. What has been you guys experience with the accubond lower than 1800? I understand that a perfectly placed pencil hole is enough to get the job done but who doesn't like a little insurance. My second load is a 190 vld not quite as fast not quite as accurate(.65) but no posted min fps. I would rather shoot the accubond but wanted to get you guys input. I realize that most of the time 600 yards is the limit with a 308 but I'm getting '06 velocity with an '06 pill. If one of you guys with the fancy ballistic programs could tell me what my max distance should be, that would be great!

Thanks
Atown

What's your bbl length and twist? That seems very slow for RL-17. I used to shoot 208gr Amaxs at over 2600fps from my .308 win when they were still available.

Your 190 VLD will also require manufacture rated 1800fps for expansion, so you'll still be in the 500ish yards range. I would say use some 178 hornady A-maxs, now that's a find bullet. Poly tip, thinner jacket. That will get you out to 700ish yards with a 308.

I have a 26' barrel and the twist is 1-12. I still have some 208's and I got them to fly at over 2700 but they wouldn't stablize

I also have 168 and 178 a-max but hornady says not to use them for hunting. I called Berger and was told they didn't have a min fps..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.