My Equipment Goals for 2022!

I like your plan. Might I suggest training in supported (Tripod, shooting sticks) positional shooting (Standing, kneeling, sitting) without the bipod. Many/most hunting situations don't lend to proned out shots. Possibly limit to 600yds. Then use the 300 PRC for your ELR. Don't pass up on a 300WM either. My ELR gun was made with a longer throat so I am getting 300PRC performance with my 300WM. 208 Amax at 3050fps 30" barrel.

Dear Long-Range Forum, Happy New Year, wishing the best for you all.

If I may say this, one of my new year resolutions is to become a better 1000-yard shooter, so hitting a 12" target 80% of the time will be a success story for 2022. I believe consistency and discipline will be the two key components to achieve my goal. Therefore, here's my plan: 1) I will sell all my current Rifles, 2) Upgrade to a 6.5 PRC Elevation MTR and 3) I will follow you guys' advice for the appropriate ammo, reload if needed, and read/practice all your shared shooting techniques. I think I will have fun, gain knowledge, and hopefully make some friends in the process.

LR Forum, thanks for reading, I will be sharing my progress with you all, and drooping a question here and there. Happy New 2022.
You have the right idea here. Happy New Year and Aim small...shoot small!!

Hitting 1000 yard target is not all that tough it will take some training and some practice but the 80% thing makes it a lot tougher
Not tougher...More Challenging.....geeeez! Be encouraging here! 😊...( and don't mention the wind...or the fact that by the time he's hitting 80% he'll be on his third...okay fourth barrel...) Edit: Darn didn't read far enough...others already mentioned wind.. so I will tell you this....so you don't get discouraged....the only time you need to consider wind drift....Is when the wind is blowing!

Last edited:
Dear Long-Range Forum, Happy New Year, wishing the best for you all.

If I may say this, one of my new year resolutions is to become a better 1000-yard shooter, so hitting a 12" target 80% of the time will be a success story for 2022. I believe consistency and discipline will be the two key components to achieve my goal. Therefore, here's my plan: 1) I will sell all my current Rifles, 2) Upgrade to a 6.5 PRC Elevation MTR and 3) I will follow you guys' advice for the appropriate ammo, reload if needed, and read/practice all your shared shooting techniques. I think I will have fun, gain knowledge, and hopefully make some friends in the process.

LR Forum, thanks for reading, I will be sharing my progress with you all, and drooping a question here and there. Happy New 2022.
I have been working with the 6.5 PRC for about a year now and love it. Hope you have the success and fun I have had with mine! I'm running a Bartlien 31" 5R LH 1:8.5 to 1:7.5 gain twist. I had Manson do a reamer with more throat for 156 Bergers. With ADG brass, 64 grains of N570 and Federal GM 210 primers I get 3311 fps average. Groups are sub 1/2 moa, best so far .3 moa.

I made this same decision about 15 years ago. Sold most of my rifles and replaced them with a few Cooper rifles and really good scopes. Didn't take long to find the limits of even those fine rifles shooting standard weight bullets. Now I have a few custom rifles that are up to the task of 1K plus. And I still shoot a Cooper 22-250 with one of their 8 twist barrels that has taken prairie dogs out to 1131 yards. I far more enjoy a small handful of really capable rifles than the bunch of rifles I once had. Enjoy the ride and put on your seatbelt. When the bug bites it becomes addictive… and expensive

Sounds good!! I wish you luck and sure you'll get to your goal. My goal for this season is to practice and lock down my positional shooting. I feel I suffered stability here this year.

I made this same decision about 15 years ago. Sold most of my rifles and replaced them with a few Cooper rifles and really good scopes. Didn't take long to find the limits of even those fine rifles shooting standard weight bullets. Now I have a few custom rifles that are up to the task of 1K plus. And I still shoot a Cooper 22-250 with one of their 8 twist barrels that has taken prairie dogs out to 1131 yards. I far more enjoy a small handful of really capable rifles than the bunch of rifles I once had. Enjoy the ride and put on your seatbelt. When the bug bites it becomes addictive… and expensive
Shooting prairie dogs at 1131 yards is really impressive. Thanks for the reassuring that I'm going the rights thing. I will get good ammo, practice and back to the drawing board as many times as necessary.

For Now I need to sell my other two rifles and get going with a 6.5 PRC, that will be it for me for 2022. From there I will take another challenge.

Thanks again for the comment.

I have been working with the 6.5 PRC for about a year now and love it. Hope you have the success and fun I have had with mine! I'm running a Bartlien 31" 5R LH 1:8.5 to 1:7.5 gain twist. I had Manson do a reamer with more throat for 156 Bergers. With ADG brass, 64 grains of N570 and Federal GM 210 primers I get 3311 fps average. Groups are sub 1/2 moa, best so far .3 moa.
This is music to my ears. I will find find the right ammo for my Proof Elevation MTR and do the first try.

Not tougher...More Challenging.....geeeez! Be encouraging here! 😊...( and don't mention the wind...or the fact that by the time he's hitting 80% he'll be on his third...okay fourth barrel...) Edit: Darn didn't read far enough...others already mentioned wind.. so I will tell you this....so you don't get discouraged....the only time you need to consider wind drift....Is when the wind is blowing!
Alight!
So I'm hearing that deviations up or down wont be much of the issue with the rights ammo, it will be more East West wend windy.