2022 Elk

getsmart

In 2007, Kirby completed a rifle for me chambered in 300 Weatherby.
This June I picked up my new rifle by Allen Precision Shooting. This is my first precision rifle.

The build is a:

.300 Weatherby.
27" Lilja 3-groove w/ heavy flutes (#7 contour).
Lawton 7000 Action
McMillan A-5 (wow, what a wait).
Jewell Trigger
Defensive Edge brake
Nightforce 3.5-15 x 50mm

I will attach a photo soon.

It is a wonderful rifle to shoot with the Decelerator pad and Defensive Edge brake. Learning curve for me to shoot off of bi-pod (I was a backpack guy), but I am getting it now. Shooting 200gr Accubond for hunting and 210 SMK for gophers. Best load with Accubond came with 82.6 grains of Ramshot Magnum at 2980 fps. Still working with Retumbo and the SMK. Can push the 210's to over 3000fps with no signs of pressure, but I do not see the need.

I would maybe shorten the barrel and inch, because I do not think the rifle gained much velocity for the extra weight in this caliber. This gun will be packed in the hills.

It is a nice precision rifle, that shoots 1/2 MOA when I do. Kirby took me to a place near Ft. Shaw to shoot at 1212yds. I think I need some practice before I can talk about 1/2 MOA at that range. Even the light breeze in the morning really changed things.

Thank you Kirby. Nice work.
I was finally able to use the rifle for its intended purpose. I was fortunate enough to draw a CM Russsell Refuge tag. On November 22, after 22 days hunting the area, I spotted a couple of bulls and was able to sneak within 578 yards. The bull was directly facing me (with a slight angle as I learned later). There was no wind, but the bull knew I was there, so I took the shot. The 210 SMK went in the right side of his neck/chest and came out the last rib on his left. What a feeling.
Thank you again, Kirby. It only took 15 years, but it all worked out.

This forum gave me the idea for the build.

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 106
  • elk down.jpg
    elk down.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 300WbyMagright.jpg
    300WbyMagright.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 105
In 2007, Kirby completed a rifle for me chambered in 300 Weatherby.

I was finally able to use the rifle for its intended purpose. I was fortunate enough to draw a CM Russsell Refuge tag. On November 22, after 22 days hunting the area, I spotted a couple of bulls and was able to sneak within 578 yards. The bull was directly facing me (with a slight angle as I learned later). There was no wind, but the bull knew I was there, so I took the shot. The 210 SMK went in the right side of his neck/chest and came out the last rib on his left. What a feeling.
Thank you again, Kirby. It only took 15 years, but it all worked out.

This forum gave me the idea for the build.

Congratulations on the build……and a very nice Bull! 👍👍 memtb