My baby girl needs a rifle

ofdscooby

I was talking with a buddy the other day and I came to the realization my little girl is able to hunt deer in about a year and a half and I want to get her practicing now. She's been behind the .22 a ton and a couple of .410 and AR shots but just enough to know they kick more than the .22. So I want to get her a 7-08 or a .243 I've heard that the 7-08 is light recoil I have never shot one myself. She is also going to be a lefty like me. I'm open to opinions/ideas I would like to get her in a rifle by mid summer.

My daughter started shooting my CZ-527 in 223 when she was 5. She shot her first deer with it when she was 6, and has shot several more since then. I had her using the old discontinued 60 grain Nosler solid base, but there are quite a few good bullets for the 223 that will work. 64 Winchester, 64 Nosler Bonded, 60 Partition, 53 Barnes, and a host of others.

My daughter, and most kids if you want to be totally honest, are very recoil and muzzle blast sensitive. The last thing you want to do is over-gun them, and make it where they don't want to shoot or are scared of the rifle. I run a suppressor on that 223 and my daughter LOVES to shoot it. Therefore, she shoots it a lot, and can shoot it very well. Shot placement is key to success, and lots of practice makes that happen. Make it fun for them to shoot, and then as her guide you need to work on getting her the shot she needs to be successful.

That is my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth.

I used a Savage youth model Axis had trigger job done but now you can get (accu trigger) in a 243 for my son when he first started Hunting, and the gun was an absolute tack driver very manageable recoil used Hornady 95gr SST knocked down everything out to 400 yards including cow elk . Gun was so good I upgraded him to a Savage Axis II SS in a 6.5 CM ,and put a Vortex HSLR on it this thing shoots .5 MOA with factory Hornady 129 WT out to 300 yards but have not had time to shoot further out with a bit less recoil than his 243 ( due to longer barrel I would suspect YM 20 inch adult model 22inch)

So in short a good starter rifle is Savage youth model accurate, dependable, and very inexpensive for a first rifle .

What about a 6.5 Grendel? Maybe a 18"-20" AR-15, with an adjustable stock? 123g Hornady SST.
Very light recoil, easy to handle weapon, easy to adjust the stock as she grows. Also switch out uppers as she grows and practices with other caliber options, 5.56x45, 25/45 sharps, 308 arrow, 7.62x39, 300blk, 458 bushmaster... You get the idea

If she's 8-10ish I would stick with a 223 or something simular. Keep it fun, and she will practice more. When she's about 12 and ready for more get a 6.5 creedmore. This way you get to justify buying two guns:D

First question is do you reload. If yes easiest answer and the one I start all kids hunting with 6x45. Simple .223 necked up for .243 cartridge. Light recoil plenty of power and easy to take deer at 300 yards.
If you don't reload I would look for the 300blk. Here's why, light recoil, plenty of knock down for anything at the right distance. Very good inside 200 which being new should be insisted on by others until you are sure they can make the shots.

It as stated before the 6.5 or 6mm Grendel would be perfect an it more recoil than the 300blk or 6x45 but also much more distance available. But as stated start with the least amount of recoil you can.

My last choice is also stated .223 just be very wise with ammo. Federal loads nosler partitions that work great for pigs and deer.

Thanks for the input I was really hoping to provide her with a first rifle that we would keep factory with hopefully a wood stock or something that would basically be a couple years of hunting then use the action and go custom around high school. Either way I think I'll lean toward a .223 for now. I was lookin at Browning BAR's earlier on gun broker I think a gas operated 7-08 would be pretty sweet.

I would go with a Savage .223 and always have her and you use hearing protection while shooting or hunting. I don't know anyone who hunts without electronic ear muffs. They are as modern as long range hunting.

Nothing wrong with a 223, lots of factory ammo available, plenty of rifles to choose from, light recoil and most are accurate and that is what you'd want, accurate with a 223 because shot placement would be crucial.

BAR's are nice rifles but are anything but light. Howa/ weatherby vanguard used to be available in a youth package that was a short action with both a cut down youth and a full sized stock for a very reasonable price. Those Howa actions are pretty nice though build on and the cost was good as well.

My son is only 2 but I have a NIB Kimber Montana .260 set aside for him when he is old enough to hunt deer.

I've got 2 Ruger Hawkeye Compact Rifles. 1 in .308 Winchester, 1 in 7.62x39. Factory lite loads available in .308.

The short stock, and 16" barrels balance, and carry well, for the kids. Available in .223, .243, and 7-08. Stainless or blued.

All things being equal....7mm08 will have more recoil than
243. Neither really kicks. Find a gun that FITS her and chamberaccording to recoil tolerance and size of game.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts