My .338 Thor

Hydro forming increases case capacity of virgin brass by 3.01 grains on average. Fire forming increases case capacity of virgin brass by 8.28 grains on average.

Hydro forming gets you 36.4% of the way to fire forming based on the numerical data. But, I could misinterpreting it.
Again, the improvement comes from the reamer design, not the hydraulic forming dies. It is pretty straightforward to me. Perhaps, you should concentrate on the "actual" gain in grains of H2O instead of playing with the percentages.

@FEENIX how are you liking the Hydro forming process so far over straight fire forming? I'm going to try that route on my next one.

@FEENIX how are you liking the Hydro forming process so far over straight fire forming? I'm going to try that route on my next one.
This is my second hydraulic forming die (Whidden was my first) built by my gunsmith since I have all the reamers. I like it, but I understand it is not for everybody, but it is simply another method of pre-forming a brass. Yes, I do the COW method too. It boils down to personal preference. I could have done the COW method (and still can) but opted for the hydraulic forming die. The one advantage of using a hydraulic forming die is you save primers - we all know primers are a premium these days. I do not know if you have seen my COW with my .30 Gibbs.

30-gibbs-fire-forming-progress-jpg.192717

From L-R: .35 Whelen virgin brass, after re-sizing, fire-formed with 11g WSF (COW method), and after re-sizing.

I don't have any issue. Just trying to understand the value of the hydro forming die. Legitimately curious and not trying to offend.
I take no offense, but I owe you a response. However, I cannot do so if I do not understand your question/concern. If you want to know the value of hydraulic forming dies, that would have been a much easier question, as I provided to @KH_Outdoors in #48.

This is my second hydraulic forming die (Whidden was my first) built by my gunsmith since I have all the reamers. I like it, but I understand it is not for everybody, but it is simply another method of pre-forming a brass. Yes, I do the COW method too. It boils down to personal preference. I could have done the COW method (and still can) but opted for the hydraulic forming die. The one advantage of using a hydraulic forming die is you save primers - we all know primers are a premium these days. I do not know if you have seen my COW with my .30 Gibbs.

30-gibbs-fire-forming-progress-jpg.192717

From L-R: .35 Whelen virgin brass, after re-sizing, fire-formed with 11g WSF (COW method), and after re-sizing.

Thanks for sharing!

Seems logical to me. Save components & barrel life. Get closer to a final dimension for initial load work maybe too?

My gunsmith is having Whidden make my Seating & Sizing die set. So I asked to have a Hydro Forming die made at the same time. Worth trying!

Thanks for sharing!

Seems logical to me. Save components & barrel life. Get closer to a final dimension for initial load work maybe too?

My gunsmith is having Whidden make my Seating & Sizing die set. So I asked to have a Hydro Forming die made at the same time. Worth trying!
I originally was going the Whidden route, but the lead time was too long, and prices have gone up significantly since the last time John built my dies for my .30 LARA (forming, sizing, and seating). For the hydraulic forming die, I purchased the following:

Newlon forming die.jpg

Whiddeen hydraulic form die plunger set-up.jpg

A few of us here use hydraulic forming dies with very good success. Good luck with your build.

I originally was going the Whidden route, but the lead time was too long, and prices have gone up significantly since the last time John built my dies for my .30 LARA (forming, sizing, and seating). For the hydraulic forming die, I purchased the following:

View attachment 461322
View attachment 461323

A few of us here use hydraulic forming dies with very good success. Good luck with your build.

Thanks for sharing!

I made it to the range this AM and did my initial fire-forming off the chamber/barrel break-in (18 shots).

View attachment 448878
The one on the right is fire-formed with Hornady 250 BTHP 91.5g Magpro 9 1/2M 3.40" COAL.
View attachment 448879
These are the last 4 shots during the barrel break-in at 100Y. I think it has potential because I only established a baseline load to fire-form and not expecting any accuracy.
Great photography as well👍

I don't have any issue. Just trying to understand the value of the hydro forming die. Legitimately curious and not trying to offend.
The value is the components you save. I fire form by jamming the bullet on a 260 AI. Let's say I can load 100 rounds not including the cost of the cases for $72. With the dies I won't use those reloading components fire forming. So then I just work up a load on the hydraulic formed cases. On larger cases/ cartridges the savings is going to be more. And your load workup is going to be theoretically less.

I take no offense, but I owe you a response. However, I cannot do so if I do not understand your question/concern. If you want to know the value of hydraulic forming dies, that would have been a much easier question, as I provided to @KH_Outdoors in #48.
OK. I'm just trying to understand how close the hydro forming get's you to the final improved case dimension. If I were to ever do another wildcat, it would be similar to this, but probably in a 30 cal.