Muzzleloading Newbie

scarney19

For 2020 I decided to switch it up and try out muzzleloading for Colorado elk season. I've read through a lot of the other post but asking for anyone's advise. I know nothing about muzzleloaders so this is a new learning process for me. I'm also trying to video document the entire process. Thank you everyone in advance.

it's a process but it's not complicated. First and foremost you have to pay attention to what you are doing. So.. here is how I do it, others my have a different opinion.. I prefer blackthorn 209 over black powder subs, I've had good luck tuning my loads with it and can get better velocities. You can measure your powder by weight or by volume. If you choose by volume then get yourself a good powder measure, I like a clear one. I usually start at 100 grains by volume and work up from there in 5 grain increments until I find the best group. Do not exceed the manufacture maximum load. After I find the best powder charge i like to measure by weight from there on just because I like knowing that my powder charge is the same every time. There are a lot of Bullet choices out there to choose from so you'll need to experiment with them to find what works best with your rifle. You'll also want to try different 209 primers. Some of my rifles like winchester and some like cci. I usually start out every season with fresh primers. You'll want your bullets to seat firmly against the powder charge. They need a tight fit but not so much that you'll give yourself a hernia trying to load your bullets. Always always use a witness mark on your ramrod! Once you get your rifle loaded mark your ramrod in a way that you'll know that you are not double loaded. I just wrap a piece of tape around the ramrod right where it comes out of the barrel. Muzzleloader barrels heat up pretty quick so i like to wait 4 or 5 minutes between shots when sighting in and I like to run a patch down the barrel after every shot just to clean out the powder residue. As far as cleaning your muzzleloader I just clean them like I do any other rifle. Run a few patches of hoppes down the bore then a few dry patches until they come out clean, then run a patch with your favorite gun oil down the bore. I do clean after every shooting session. All black powder and subs are corrosive, some more than others. Anyway, this was just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.

I'm new also and got the same T/C Impact and plan to hunt elk with this rig. I am attaching two threads I recently started, where you may get some info. I just shot it for the first time using 295gn Power Belt bullets and 100gn of Triple7 FF powder. Super nice... you'll love the pad they put on these things. cheers and good luck

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/muzzleloading-rookie-opinions-on-first-setup.232185/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/muzzleleoader-cleanup-question.233161/

I should have explained more on the weight by volume vs weighing your charge. These will not be the same. 100 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 is only 70 grains by weight. You may have already knew this but I'll sleep better knowing I explained it.

I should have explained more on the weight by volume vs weighing your charge. These will not be the same. 100 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 is only 70 grains by weight. You may have already knew this but I'll sleep better knowing I explained it.
Thank you for the information. Much appreciative

For 2020 I decided to switch it up and try out muzzleloading for Colorado elk season. I've read through a lot of the other post but asking for anyone's advise. I know nothing about muzzleloaders so this is a new learning process for me. I'm also trying to video document the entire process. Thank you everyone in advance.

Scarney, you are definitely going to need a palmsaver for the T/C ramrod. I've seen the T handled units and others, but I just fashioned one out of a 2" diameter biscuit of silver maple, sanding to my desired profile with rounded edges and finishing with a polyurethane finish. Drilled a slightly oversized hole for the ramrod end and it works great.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts