Muzzleloader question

Rilow

Has anybody free floated barrel n bedded action on Remington 700 ML? If so did you notice any improvement? Was thinking of doing it and then carry a collapsible ramrod. Curious if any of you guys have done it and wether it made any difference in your accuracy.

AZShooter

I bedded and floated the barrel on my Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader.

I originally worked up my loads with the ramrod out of the rifle. (I used the recommended Rem 250 gr sabot bullet with triple seven pellets) I put the ramrod in the rifle much later on and discovered that it changed the group size and POI so I left it out. I carry a backpack so it is no big deal to pull it from pack should I need to reload in the field.

After a successful first elk hunt with it last year, I upgraded the rifle with a timney trigger, an arrowhead breech plug and switched to Blackhorn 209 and 300 gr Thor Hammer bullets. BUT first I had my gunsmith bed and float the rifle AND fill in the ramrod groove. He did a fantastic job matching the gray laminate.

I cannot answer if the bedding job changed the accuracy. BUT I can tell you that I had to frequently check the action screw tension with that unbedded laminate stock. I believe the wood was compressing. I encountered another shooter with same rifle and a laminate and he had the same issue. After bedding the action screw's tension remains the same after many firings. If for no other reason bedding would be a good idea.

Rilow

I bedded and floated the barrel on my Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader.

I originally worked up my loads with the ramrod out of the rifle. (I used the recommended Rem 250 gr sabot bullet with triple seven pellets) I put the ramrod in the rifle much later on and discovered that it changed the group size and POI so I left it out. I carry a backpack so it is no big deal to pull it from pack should I need to reload in the field.

After a successful first elk hunt with it last year, I upgraded the rifle with a timney trigger, an arrowhead breech plug and switched to Blackhorn 209 and 300 gr Thor Hammer bullets. BUT first I had my gunsmith bed and float the rifle AND fill in the ramrod groove. He did a fantastic job matching the gray laminate.

I cannot answer if the bedding job changed the accuracy. BUT I can tell you that I had to frequently check the action screw tension with that unbedded laminate stock. I believe the wood was compressing. I encountered another shooter with same rifle and a laminate and he had the same issue. After bedding the action screw's tension remains the same after many firings. If for no other reason bedding would be a good idea.
Thank AZ think I’m gonna try it appreciate your input

dogboy

I learned the ramrod issue a long time ago. It was convenient to just toss my rod on the bench while testing groups and zeroing the rifle. One day I put the rod back in and found my point of impact had shifted. I now do all shooting with my rod back in the rifle.

If the bedding would happen to have a negative effect, you can always redo it with some upward pressure on the barrel.

lwh723

Typically, you're not going to see a drastic change to accuracy from bedding a factory ML. It might shrink groups a little, but if you've got one that's barely holding minute of deer, it's usually something else.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.

Recent Posts