Muzzleloader conversion

Poe

I have been toying with the idea of converting a savage 11 that I have chambered in .243 in a Boyd's stock into a muzzleloader. Has anyone else done something similar. Just wondering how much work it is and is it worth it or should I just pickup something like a CVA accura LRX.

Used muzzle loaders are so cheap. I was given a 50 cal pellet and shot gun primer rifle. It's legal to use a red dot and it's kinda fun. I use the Sabo 300 gr and they just knock down deer at up to 200 yards

Used muzzle loaders are so cheap. I was given a 50 cal pellet and shot gun primer rifle. It's legal to use a red dot and it's kinda fun. I use the Sabo 300 gr and they just knock down deer at up to 200 yards
I have a few muzzleloaders already I was just thinking about maybe upgrading and thought building one would be fun. Also looking into possibly one that can run smokeless

If looking to do smokeless. A New England Firearms/Harrington & Richardson could be an option.

I have a 28 ga Ultra Slugger I have been thinking about converting. I think I read it just needs to be threaded for a breech plug.

the Savage platform is a great option and are quite DIY friendly , all the parts are available from Arrowhead. If you already have a donor action there would be cost saving there ( a large shank would be preferred but not necessary).
A converted .45-70 break action is another choice there are a few builders doing CVA's Scout rifles , but these cannot handle the shouter loads that bolt guns can.

Use a .223 bolt head and machine it to hold the LRMP primer modules. I built mine on a Savage Target action(solid bottom/single shot with large shank), and it is fantastic. Also, if I wanted, I can swap out the barrel and bolt face, and have a center fire gun again.

Recent Posts