Muzzleloader Decision

BoomFlop

I'm looking at getting one of the follow set ups as my first muzzleloader.

1) CVA LR-X 50 cal FDE/Wideland with a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 F2 in Dark Earth (FDE?)

2) CVA MR-X 50 cal Grey/Alpine with Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F2

3) CVA MR-X 50 cal Grey/Alpine with Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 F2

This will be my first muzzleloader. Not sure if Nightforce is overkill on a muzzleloader? Not sure how well the Nightforce Dark Earth will match the FDE barrel of the LR-X?

Hope someone can help or might even have one of these combinations?

Thoughts or ideas?

Steve

1) CVA LR-X 50 cal FDE/Wideland with a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 F2 in Dark Earth (FDE?)

This will be my first muzzleloader. Not sure if Nightforce is overkill on a muzzleloader? Not sure how well the Nightforce Dark Earth will match the FDE barrel of the LR-X?

Thoughts or ideas?

Steve
All look good but I would choose number one.

I cannot comment on the FDE colors matching, but for where I hunt, yes a higher end scope like a Nightforce would be over kill for a muzzleloader if it is not a smokeless.

If it's not a smokeless effective range is probably around 150yds. To me a scope in that price range would be overkill.

Good luck with the first muzzleloader and this fall.

Thoughts or ideas?

Steve
If you're going to use a NF check out smokeless options and run bh209 if required by law. A NF on a CVA, it's your wallet. Your scope choice is secure but it will never make a rifle or muzzleloader shoot better than it's capable of.

My reasoning for the NF is that I will be shooting BH209 and a 320 Fury bullet. Should be a 300 yard muzzleloader, however, with a standard load 300 yards would be like 16.5 MOA. That's a lot of clicking and hold over.

What would you all recommend for a scope?

In Wisconsin, we have to use black powder or substitute. No smokeless.

A 320 grain should have no problem completely penetrating a deer or bear out to 300 yards. How fast do you think a substitute will move your chosen bullet. I've been away from the substitute for several years. I understand you scope choice better now. Seems like someone would make a good ballistic plex that matched your goal.

I would go with number 1 but you may want to check out knight rifles before you make up your mine.good luck.

My reasoning for the NF is that I will be shooting BH209 and a 320 Fury bullet. Should be a 300 yard muzzleloader, however, with a standard load 300 yards would be like 16.5 MOA. That's a lot of clicking and hold over.

What would you all recommend for a scope?

In Wisconsin, we have to use black powder or substitute. No smokeless.
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think there is anything in the regs restricting what powder is used. They just state it must be a 45 cal and larger, screw in breech, and must load from the muzzle

I recently upgraded to a 50 cal CVA MR-X and I love it. I'm shooting the
340 grain Eld-X Boredriver with 80 grains by weight of BH. I got the Anarchy Muzzlebreak that helps a lot with the recoil, also it's easy on and off for cleaning.
I tested loads from 77 to 83 gr by weight and get best accuracy with 80 gr.
I already had a Leupold 3x9 with the SABR bdc Muzzy reticle so I put it on and getting moa out to 200 yds which is as far as I have tried.
When I get time going to put a 15X scope on it and feel pretty confident that 300 yards will be a very doable shot. That eld-x boredriver has a bc of .315 which is exceptional for a muzzy bullet.

This is the one I got recently.
Shooting 180gr Sierra 40 caliber bullet in a sabot over 70gr of Triple 7.
Scope is a 3-9X40 Crimson Trace Hardline with MOA reticle.
EGW base & rings.
Sighted in at 100 yards. No problem using the reticle out to 300.