Muzzleloader

Buckman300

A couple years ago I built a long range muzzleloader for myself that has been a game changer. I’ve killed several deer, elk and antelope out to 480 yards, including a pair of doe antelope that I killed with one shot. This gun has a Manners EH1 stock, Remington 700 action and a Brux 45 cal barrel. I’m shooting Arrowhead sporting goods 325 grain XLD bullets which have to be swaged to fit the bore but they shoot very, very well. I practice out to 800 yards with it regularly and in good conditions will hit at 800 yards every single shot.

Attachments

Bullmark

Hello all.with muzzleloader season just around the corner here in nc I was wondering who all on here hunts long range with muzzleloader and wonder what gear does every one use.ive notice that alot of company now offer long range muzzleloaders. I have a a tradition pursuit that I use that my grandpa gave me its nothing fancy but I've killed couple deer with it but want to buy a more suitable long range muzzleloader so that's on my list with few rifles as well
Man do I have experience with Muzzleloaders....I bought property in Iowa and cannot use my preferred hunting rifles. So, over the course of 15 yrs have owned and tested more smoke poles than I can count. Rather than spend all day I’ll sum up my findings.
If u want the absolute best for accuracy, speed, reliability and long range out to 500yds......you’ll need a smokeless setup. I ended up with a McWhorter.45 cal....yes it’s expensive but worth every penny. No sabot to deal with, shooting a 325gr Pittman at 2800-2900 fps. I can’t imagine anything better.
I do know there are more and more builders that will build u a smokeless and cost a lot less than McWhorter........I know of a great ‘Smith in Illinois that will have u out the door in the $3200 range and his guns will shoot just as accurately as any.
If u cannot go thr smokeless route I would use Blackhorn 209. It’s cleaner than any other non smokeless and will generate about 15% more velocity. Good luc

Buckman300

In the off season I’ve been shooting H4198 just for fun but I live in Utah so I hunt with Blackhorn 209. I get 2610 FPS with H4198 and 2550 FPS with blackhorn. It could be pushed harder with the smokeless but it works so well where it’s at that I don’t mess with it.

George Dean

For me, hunting with a muzzle-loader is a mental thing. Kind of like being there in another age. I'll stick with my Great Plains .50, lead balls & 80 grains of black powder, with all the inherent limitations.

Dean2

For me, hunting with a muzzle-loader is a mental thing. Kind of like being there in another age. I'll stick with my Great Plains .50, lead balls & 80 grains of black powder, with all the inherent limitations.
Have to say I agree. I have a couple of flintlocks in left hand and a percussion. They shoot 32, 50, 54 and 62 calibre round balls.. Max range is 150 yards. To me that is hunting with a muzzle loader. Stuffing smokeless powder down a gun that will shoot 500 yards and uses modern bullets at 3000 fps is just hunting with a modern rifle that is slower to load. That said, some guys seem to really like that and for many it is a way around the ML only season so they can extend their hunting time. All hunting is good as long as you are doing it legally and legal varies a lot by location.

ENCORE

With a properly setup Knight, either the Mountaineer or Ultralite in 45cal with the 1:20 twist, add the Bestill ignition system and the rifle is good to 500yds. Most shooters/hunters are not.

Like Luke says, the best smokeless rifles make the best BH209 rifles.

BKM

The cvav paramount will easily get to 500 yards with powerbelt elr bullets
What’s the velocity of ur powerbelt at the muzzle ?
Even though it may be plenty capable of hitting a target at 500 yds I question whether or not it has enough energy to produce effective kills at that distance.

Dean2

What’s the velocity of ur powerbelt at the muzzle ?
Even though it may be plenty capable of hitting a target at 500 yds I question whether or not it has enough energy to produce effective kills at that distance.
A round ball at 100 yards is doing maybe 900 fps and it penetrates clear through most animals and kills just fine. The MLs using 209 are moving a lot faster than that at 400. The hole is what kills, ME was a short hand that never actually worked.

Trending threads

Recent Posts