Muzzleloader

A couple years ago I built a long range muzzleloader for myself that has been a game changer. I've killed several deer, elk and antelope out to 480 yards, including a pair of doe antelope that I killed with one shot. This gun has a Manners EH1 stock, Remington 700 action and a Brux 45 cal barrel. I'm shooting Arrowhead sporting goods 325 grain XLD bullets which have to be swaged to fit the bore but they shoot very, very well. I practice out to 800 yards with it regularly and in good conditions will hit at 800 yards every single shot.

Attachments

• 7EAF3121-5160-47AD-86AD-9F00B83643EF.jpeg
    7EAF3121-5160-47AD-86AD-9F00B83643EF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 289
Hello all.with muzzleloader season just around the corner here in nc I was wondering who all on here hunts long range with muzzleloader and wonder what gear does every one use.ive notice that alot of company now offer long range muzzleloaders. I have a a tradition pursuit that I use that my grandpa gave me its nothing fancy but I've killed couple deer with it but want to buy a more suitable long range muzzleloader so that's on my list with few rifles as well
Man do I have experience with Muzzleloaders....I bought property in Iowa and cannot use my preferred hunting rifles. So, over the course of 15 yrs have owned and tested more smoke poles than I can count. Rather than spend all day I'll sum up my findings.
If u want the absolute best for accuracy, speed, reliability and long range out to 500yds......you'll need a smokeless setup. I ended up with a McWhorter.45 cal....yes it's expensive but worth every penny. No sabot to deal with, shooting a 325gr Pittman at 2800-2900 fps. I can't imagine anything better.
I do know there are more and more builders that will build u a smokeless and cost a lot less than McWhorter........I know of a great 'Smith in Illinois that will have u out the door in the $3200 range and his guns will shoot just as accurately as any.
If u cannot go thr smokeless route I would use Blackhorn 209. It's cleaner than any other non smokeless and will generate about 15% more velocity. Good luc

In the off season I've been shooting H4198 just for fun but I live in Utah so I hunt with Blackhorn 209. I get 2610 FPS with H4198 and 2550 FPS with blackhorn. It could be pushed harder with the smokeless but it works so well where it's at that I don't mess with it.

For me, hunting with a muzzle-loader is a mental thing. Kind of like being there in another age. I'll stick with my Great Plains .50, lead balls & 80 grains of black powder, with all the inherent limitations.

For me, hunting with a muzzle-loader is a mental thing. Kind of like being there in another age. I'll stick with my Great Plains .50, lead balls & 80 grains of black powder, with all the inherent limitations.
Have to say I agree. I have a couple of flintlocks in left hand and a percussion. They shoot 32, 50, 54 and 62 calibre round balls.. Max range is 150 yards. To me that is hunting with a muzzle loader. Stuffing smokeless powder down a gun that will shoot 500 yards and uses modern bullets at 3000 fps is just hunting with a modern rifle that is slower to load. That said, some guys seem to really like that and for many it is a way around the ML only season so they can extend their hunting time. All hunting is good as long as you are doing it legally and legal varies a lot by location.

The cvav paramount will easily get to 500 yards with powerbelt elr bullets
What's the velocity of ur powerbelt at the muzzle ?
Even though it may be plenty capable of hitting a target at 500 yds I question whether or not it has enough energy to produce effective kills at that distance.

What's the velocity of ur powerbelt at the muzzle ?
Even though it may be plenty capable of hitting a target at 500 yds I question whether or not it has enough energy to produce effective kills at that distance.
A round ball at 100 yards is doing maybe 900 fps and it penetrates clear through most animals and kills just fine. The MLs using 209 are moving a lot faster than that at 400. The hole is what kills, ME was a short hand that never actually worked.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.