Muzzleloader question

Rilow

Has anybody free floated barrel n bedded action on Remington 700 ML? If so did you notice any improvement? Was thinking of doing it and then carry a collapsible ramrod. Curious if any of you guys have done it and wether it made any difference in your accuracy.

I bedded and floated the barrel on my Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader.

I originally worked up my loads with the ramrod out of the rifle. (I used the recommended Rem 250 gr sabot bullet with triple seven pellets) I put the ramrod in the rifle much later on and discovered that it changed the group size and POI so I left it out. I carry a backpack so it is no big deal to pull it from pack should I need to reload in the field.

After a successful first elk hunt with it last year, I upgraded the rifle with a timney trigger, an arrowhead breech plug and switched to Blackhorn 209 and 300 gr Thor Hammer bullets. BUT first I had my gunsmith bed and float the rifle AND fill in the ramrod groove. He did a fantastic job matching the gray laminate.

I cannot answer if the bedding job changed the accuracy. BUT I can tell you that I had to frequently check the action screw tension with that unbedded laminate stock. I believe the wood was compressing. I encountered another shooter with same rifle and a laminate and he had the same issue. After bedding the action screw's tension remains the same after many firings. If for no other reason bedding would be a good idea.

I bedded and floated the barrel on my Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader.

I originally worked up my loads with the ramrod out of the rifle. (I used the recommended Rem 250 gr sabot bullet with triple seven pellets) I put the ramrod in the rifle much later on and discovered that it changed the group size and POI so I left it out. I carry a backpack so it is no big deal to pull it from pack should I need to reload in the field.

After a successful first elk hunt with it last year, I upgraded the rifle with a timney trigger, an arrowhead breech plug and switched to Blackhorn 209 and 300 gr Thor Hammer bullets. BUT first I had my gunsmith bed and float the rifle AND fill in the ramrod groove. He did a fantastic job matching the gray laminate.

I cannot answer if the bedding job changed the accuracy. BUT I can tell you that I had to frequently check the action screw tension with that unbedded laminate stock. I believe the wood was compressing. I encountered another shooter with same rifle and a laminate and he had the same issue. After bedding the action screw's tension remains the same after many firings. If for no other reason bedding would be a good idea.
Thank AZ think I'm gonna try it appreciate your input

I learned the ramrod issue a long time ago. It was convenient to just toss my rod on the bench while testing groups and zeroing the rifle. One day I put the rod back in and found my point of impact had shifted. I now do all shooting with my rod back in the rifle.

If the bedding would happen to have a negative effect, you can always redo it with some upward pressure on the barrel.

Typically, you're not going to see a drastic change to accuracy from bedding a factory ML. It might shrink groups a little, but if you've got one that's barely holding minute of deer, it's usually something else.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.