Muzzleleoader Cleanup question

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107796

Hey all,
I just got this T/C Impact inline and the manual says to scrub the muzzle in a water bath. Won't most pressurized gun cleaners/solvents work as well as water? thanks

All the muzzleloader solvents I am aware of are water based. TC's is for sure. Back when we actually used black powder I used to clean them in the bath tub. Got scolded by mama every time too. I was better at cleaning guns than the bath tub LOL. Do not use smokeless powder solvents on a muzzleloader unless it is a smokeless one. Follow the instructions on the solvent bottle. BTW if you run a patch with solvent right after you finish shooting it, while it is still warm, it will be much easier to clean when you get home. Clean as soon as possible and the job will be easier.

If you are asking about initial cleaning before shooting...they are telling you to get rid of the packing grease...if you didn't clean it well before shooting..have fun scrubbing on the grease...it will come out eventually....
If you are talking about cleaning after firing....depends upon which powder you are using....general black powder can be cleaned witb soapy water...still takes scrubbing to get any carbon buildup out...
Been a while since i have shot mine...but I swab every other shot..trying to be consistent as I would be hunting.....so out in the woods i carry premoistened patches....moistened not soaked....can use Windex on black powder...non ammonia based.....when finished clean well and lightly oil.....

Great advice above , Dawn blue dishwater soap really works good also . Make sure your patchs are tight ,you can boil water in the microwave , put your MZ , bbl in metal coffee can pour in hot water , put Blu Dawn on patch and clean it , the better cleaned it will not rust or get corroded from the black powder ,old toothbrushes work great to clean the breech plug ,coalking in hot water with Dawn blu also .cheers

Great advice above , Dawn blue dishwater soap really works good also . Make sure your patchs are tight ,you can boil water in the microwave , put your MZ , bbl in metal coffee can pour in hot water , put Blu Dawn on patch and clean it , the better cleaned it will not rust or get corroded from the black powder ,old toothbrushes work great to clean the breech plug ,coalking in hot water with Dawn blu also .cheers
We used Dawn for black powder. Don't know about some of the new BP substitutes. I use Goex and the muzzleloader shop here has a homemade concoction they sell that will clean it with 4 patches. Fantastic stuff. Looks like the soap bubbles kids play with and smells kinda like windex. No idea what's in it.

It's just that I'm seeing cleaners like Birchwoood Casey Gun Scrubber, that is alcohol based and specifically mentioned for front stuffers. In my experience, most anything water will remove, pure isopropanol will remove better with less residue, but I'm always willing to learn if that's not the case.
Shooting tomorrow for the first time! I'm thinking of starting loads of 80gn Pyrodex P and 90-100gn of Triple 7 FF. cheers

Here is a little tip for cleaning black powder and their substitutes. Go to the local Dollar Tree and get a spray bottle of Awesome Orange cleaner. It is the best cleaner I have ever seen. It just melts the fouling and leaves a nice orange smell. How I discovered this is a number of years ago a friend got a bottle of Phyro-clean made especially for cleaning Pyrodex. It smelled just like the Awesome Orange so I gave it a try and the rest is history.

Got scolded by mama every time too.
Got a good laugh out of that one.

Here is a little tip for cleaning black powder and their substitutes. Go to the local Dollar Tree and get a spray bottle of Awesome Orange cleaner. It is the best cleaner I have ever seen. It just melts the fouling and leaves a nice orange smell. How I discovered this is a number of years ago a friend got a bottle of Phyro-clean made especially for cleaning Pyrodex. It smelled just like the Awesome Orange so I gave it a try and the rest is history.

Excellent tip and I thought the citrus cleaners may work well, but in the field, an elk may sense something o' bit different with a fresh orange scent! :rolleyes:

Equal parts Murphy's oil soap, rv antifreeze and denatured alcohol. Mix up and put in a 5 gallon bucket. Put muzzle down in bucket and work a nylon brush back and forth until clean. Works great and won't smell up the bathroom!

Equal parts Murphy's oil soap, rv antifreeze and denatured alcohol. Mix up and put in a 5 gallon bucket. Put muzzle down in bucket and work a nylon brush back and forth until clean. Works great and won't smell up the bathroom!

By far, the fastest and easiest cleanup for my BPC rifles was a 50:50 mixture of Vinegar Windex and water. I've been using it for 20+ years. A few wet patches, dry, and a patch or two of Ballistol. Easier then cleaning smokeless.
For my flintlocks/percussion rifles, I plug the flash hole a pour a mixture of 6 parts water, 6 parts Peroxide, 4 parts Murphy's Oil Soap. Pour a few ounces down the barrel, cover the bore with your finger and invert it a few times for a minute or two, pour it out, wipe the barrel dry, lube, done.
Both of these methods have been used with GOEX BP. Store second the mixture in a dark bottle, like the ones that peroxide is supplied.

By far, the fastest and easiest cleanup for my BPC rifles was a 50:50 mixture of Vinegar Windex and water. I've been using it for 20+ years. A few wet patches, dry, and a patch or two of Ballistol. Easier then cleaning smokeless.
For my flintlocks/percussion rifles, I plug the flash hole a pour a mixture of 6 parts water, 6 parts Peroxide, 4 parts Murphy's Oil Soap. Pour a few ounces down the barrel, cover the bore with your finger and invert it a few times for a minute or two, pour it out, wipe the barrel dry, lube, done.
Both of these methods have been used with GOEX BP. Store second the mixture in a dark bottle, like the ones that peroxide is supplied.
Makes sense. The stuff i buy smells like windex. Bet it has peroxide in it too bc it foams. One thing is for sure, i would rather clean my ML than my 28 Nosler after shooting 20 rounds of RE33. That is some nasty stuff. Have a couple pounds i would give away if someone would come get it!!

Hydrogen peroxide, murphy's oil soap, and rubbing alcohol works well for real black powder. Don't know about the substitutes. Store this in a dark container like Greyfox said. Vinegar Windex & water seems to work well, but haven't personally used it to clean a rifle with. I did use it to clean 45-70 cases after loading them with black powder.

Either way is easier and makes less of a mess than the " bathtub " method

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.