Just a question?

i have a knight disc extreme in 50 cal. 100 gr 777 and tc 250 gr sabot with win 209 will give me one big ragged hole at 100 yards for a 3 shot group.

for cleaning, i would have to sat the tc encore seems like it would be very simple. but none are too bad if you can use a solvent like hoppes

TC Omega, 2 pellets of 777 with Hornady 250's. Very accurate, but after 3 shots it starts to fall off.

As for cleaning, I am considering buying the aftermarket breech plug that allows one to use the 25 acp brass and pistol primer rather than 209.

Supposedly makes the fouling tremendously less.

If anyone can confirm that it would be appreciated.

I have two both are 50 cal. 1st a TC Encore ProHunter and 2nd a Knight Bighorn. The Knight seems to be a tad more accurate than the TC put the TC cleans easier IMO. But I hunt more with the TC. gun)

I have the 50 cal. Savage bolt action ML in stainless/camo stock Won it at a match a few years ago. Shoots around a MOA pretty consistantly at 100 yards and cleans up nicely. Really like the Accutrigger and balance. The really nice feature of the rifle is that it can be used with smokeless powder(4759), if it's legal in your state. It's then a very accurate 300 yard rifle and cleaning isn't much of a consideration. Heard it was discontinued for a while due to production capacity issues at Savage, but it's once again available due to demand.

I have also gone to smokeless. I will never shoot black powder substitutes again unless I absolutely had to. Night and day difference. My savage 50 cal has been a good shooter for a lot of years. I am now working on a rem700 45cal smokeless conversion that should be good as well. I still have a few black powder guns but have not shot them in years.

As for cleaning, I am considering buying the aftermarket breech plug that allows one to use the 25 acp brass and pistol primer rather than 209.

Supposedly makes the fouling tremendously less.

If anyone can confirm that it would be appreciated.

It will reduce the blow back fouling tremendously if not completely eliminate it and I have heard people say that it will eliminate the ring of hard fouling at the chamber end of the barrel that is left by the black powder substitutes but this has not been the case in my Encore with loose 777. I think the biggest benefit to the .25 acp system was increased accuracy over the standard 209 shotgun primer. Now that there are muzzle loader specific 209 primers on the market the difference is less pronounced, all else being equal they make around a .3 difference in my average group size at 100 yards. My gun with it's preferred load will average under 1.5" for 3 shots with either one if I use CCI 400 primers. In my case the .25 auto case saves me a complete dis-assembly of the Encore action to clean the blow back fouling out of it.

To the OP, I have had excellent accuracy with both TC and CVA guns over the years with several different models of both brands, I prefer the TC guns for consistency. I have had a couple of CVA guns that wouldn't shoot anything worth a hoot.

As far as cleaning, it is a nasty endeavor with any of them, if that's a problem go with one of the smokeless guns.

Bob

I bought a savage and started shooting smokeless the 50 cal does great after you learn what it takes to make it work consistantly. I rebarreled mine with a Pac Nor 45 cal and I would be shocked if I missed a deer at 200 yards. My farthest shot so far has been 260 yards and I have about 6 head shot does so far. (These have been 120 yards or closer) as for cleaning I don't do it very often in fact I left it loaded from last year until this year and when I shot it I hit 1/2 Inch to the left of the bullet hole I shot at. On a side note I have a Savage 50Cal muzzloader barrel for sale 60$ shipped.

I have 3 TC encores and a CVA apex. They are all accurate and shoot sub-moa past 200 yds. I have a bergara barrel on one of the encores and it is my favorite followed by the CVA. The apex is a very good gun for the price.

All encores have trigger jobs, oversize hinge pins, and stronger hammer springs from Belms. I shoot dead center bullets in 260 and 300 grains in front of 105 grs of Blackhorn 209 and CCI 209m primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.