Muzzleleoader Cleanup question

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
Makes sense. The stuff i buy smells like windex. Bet it has peroxide in it too bc it foams. One thing is for sure, i would rather clean my ML than my 28 Nosler after shooting 20 rounds of RE33. That is some nasty stuff. Have a couple pounds i would give away if someone would come get it!!
Where you located?

So when you go shooting.....in my experience..with experience from a well known black powder shooter up near Deary Idaho...TRIPLE SEVEN is going to give you a carbon ring about 4" in front of the bullet when it is loaded.....you will feel it getting bigger qnd tougher to push a bullet thru as you shoot....MAKE SURE that you ramrod marks align for true seating of fhe bullet....if you only put that bullet to the carbon ring you just created a bomb.....
BlackMZ is my plinking powder...for cost reasons....9$ a pound......i bought lots of that stuff...it leaves a carbon buildup about 4" from the front of the muzzle.....
Both clean up with vinegar Windex...again...not soaking...jjst enough to make the patch damp....too much will clog the breech plug and leave way too much moisture in the barrel....
You also need to clean the breech plug about every 10-15 shots or its gonna be a bear to remove
(mine is a knight 50 UL)....enjoy the he'll out of shooting...
Kind of going old school....load it up...shoot it....reload it...shoot it.......slows you down to make better shots knowing you only have one.............

Everybody has a system with all sorts of combinations of percentages of different chemicals. I've never used Windex, because the ammonia doesn't do anything more than plain water will do.

Here's what I've been doing for the last 40 years: mix up some super hot water and add a little bit of Dawn or other liquid soap in a short bucket.

Take off the barrel. For best water flow take out the nipple if it's a percussion cap gun, or the touch hole on a flintlock, but you can also leave them in if you want. On a flintlock touch hole or a rifle with a larger musket cap nipple it doesn't matter as much, but it will be harder and take longer to push the water back through a smaller standard #11 nipple, so I always remove them.

Put the rifle breech down in the water (none of my BP rifles have removable breech plugs, which would make this even easier), and get a cleaning rod with a couple of thick patches on it.

Run the patches down to the bottom of the barrel, and suck the water mixture back up the barrel and back down a few times. You can pour the rest of the boiling water down the bore using a funnel if you want to chase it from the muzzle.

Pull the (hot!) barrel out of the bucket and wipe it down. It will dry super fast. Run a patch soaked with Ballistol or bore butter through the barrel (or Rem Oil or CLP or whatever you have). Wipe the outside of the barrel with whatever you used in the bore as well. You're done. I can clean 3 rifles in 10 minutes.

In the field I keep a little bottle of Ballistol and water and some patches to clean the worst of the fouling out of the bore. Some guys mix the Ballistol up to 10:1 with water, but I approximate 2 or 3:1 which I think works better.

No need for special concoctions IMNSHO. Hot water and a shot of liquid soap. I guess hot water and Murphy's would also work fine. If you don't have any soap, hot water alone will do a good job. I use this for Goex, 777, and Pyrodex, and the bores are pristine. Just be sure to treat the barrels after cleaning with hot water to prevent rust.

Last edited:
The stuff might be alright in a .338. I would not shoot it in a smaller bore. In a 28 Nosler it carbon fouls so badly that you will see pressure in a less than max load in less than 20 rounds. Real PIA to get out of the barrel too. I switched to IMR 8133. This stuff is not only very temp stable, it burns really clean. Velocity is the same. Good stuff. If you want it you can have it. Becomes lawn fertilizer in the Spring. I have an unopened can and whatever I didn't shoot out of the first one if memory serves. If I were you I would give 8133 a shot if you don't already have a load for RE33. IMO RE33 is a really bad idea in a 28.

Everybody has a system with all sorts of combinations of percentages of different chemicals. I've never used Windex, because the ammonia doesn't do anything more than plain water will do.

Here's what I've been doing for the last 40 years: mix up some super hot water and add a little bit of Dawn or other liquid soap in a short bucket.

Take off the barrel. For best water flow take out the nipple if it's a percussion cap gun, or the touch hole on a flintlock, but you can also leave them in if you want. On a flintlock touch hole or a rifle with a larger musket cap nipple it doesn't matter as much, it will just be a harder and take longer to push the water back through a smaller standard #11 nipple, so I always remove them.

Put the rifle breech down in the water (none of my BP rifles have removable breech plugs, which would make this even easier), and get a cleaning rod with a couple of thick patches on it.

Run the patches down to the bottom of the barrel, and suck the water mixture back up the barrel and back down a few times. You can pour the rest of the boiling water down the bore using a funnel if you want to chase it from the muzzle.

Pull the (hot!) barrel out of the bucket and wipe it down. It will dry super fast. Run a patch soaked with Ballistol or bore butter through the barrel (or Rem Oil or CLP or whatever you have). Wipe the outside of the barrel with whatever you used in the bore as well. You're done. I can clean 3 rifles in 10 minutes.

In the field I keep a little bottle of Ballistol and water and some patches to clean the worst of the fouling out of the bore. Some guys mix the Ballistol up to 10:1 with water, I just approximate 2 or 3:1 which I think works better.

No need for special concoctions IMNSHO. Hot water and a shot of liquid soap. I guess hot water and Murphy's would also work fine. If you don't have any soap, hot water alone will do a good job. I use this for Goex, 777, and Pyrodex, and the bores are pristine. Just be sure to treat the barrels after cleaning with hot water to prevent rust.

Mostly right on. But I also rinse with alcohol after all water runs out. Alcohol mixes with and "captures" the water, so removing it takes the water away, too. Any alky/water left behind evaporates very quickly. Again, the alky takes the water with it.. Now wet with a good water displacing preservative. LPS2 or the like. Let this drain completely (MUZZLE DOWN!) then put it away (short term) OR oil with ATF or some such.

Works for me over 45 yrs.

Jim Irwin (aka Cannonball)

I don't shoot a muzzle loader much any more, but I shoot BPCR. I run a wet patch then a dry one after every shot. After my last shot of the day I run a wet and dry twice, and another wet, then leave it wet until I get to the real cleaning time. What I use for a solvent is a 50/50 mix of water and water soluble machine cutting fluid and then mix that about 60/40 with antifreeze. Got that from a bunch of "old timers". I shoot real black powder, not Triple Seven, Pyrodex or Blackhorn.
But I use to clean my Hawkin Rifle by taking the barrel into the shower with me. Hot soapy water works great. And I shot Pyrodex in that. Juts make sure you get it thoroughly dry and put some oil on it.
Firearms worst enemy's are rust and politicians!

Last edited:

Take off the barrel. For best water flow take out the nipple if it's a percussion cap gun, or the touch hole on a flintlock, but you can also leave them in if you want. On a flintlock touch hole or a rifle with a larger musket cap nipple it doesn't matter as much, but it will be harder and take longer to push the water back through a smaller standard #11 nipple, so I always remove them.

In the field I keep a little bottle of Ballistol and water and some patches to clean the worst of the fouling out of the bore. Some guys mix the Ballistol up to 10:1 with water, but I approximate 2 or 3:1 which I think works better.

I found I had less problems with both rust and hangfires when I switched from oil to bore butter for a preservative.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.