Muzzlebrake?

I guess you have had enough responses by now but I'll add one more...The 300 ultra I had kicked like a 223 but it was loud as hell even with ear plugs. Shooting game with plugs would be fine but on the range I used plugs and muffs. I can't even imagine shooting it without hearing protection...it would be bad

I took two shots Saturday and harvested 2 does. The unbraked 7wsm made my ears ring for about 1-2 minutes. Then Sunday a couple of times I got a slight ringing in the ears for no apearent reason.

I am seriously considering ear protection when hunting even when using an unbraked rifle.

I've gotten to the point where unless there is a monster buck in front of me(which hasn't and probably will never happen with the way it is looking) I put them in every time. I hate that ringing, and the thing is that even when they quit ringing your inner ear does not repair itself back to normal so there is definitely some level of damage.

There are some ear plugs out there that the trap shooters use that are electronic and will enhance your hearing but when a shot goes off they block out the sound. Has anyone tried a pair of these yet. There are a couple of them that go in your ear and then they pour a mold in your ear around them so that they block everything except that sound that comes through the electronics. Kind of spendy but pay once, cry once might be the right statement. My ears have rang for 25 years from shooting handgun competition/practice and due to this I haven't shot a rifle with a break on it as of yet but I have sure thought about it on my .300 RUM. Kind of hard to stay on target with it. :)

Thanks for all the replies. So I need to get A barrel with out A brake or auto sound dampening plugs.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.