muzzlebrake!

I got a call today from a fellow who had a Gentry "quiet brake" installed 15 years ago. He took the quiet part literally and said he wore plugs durring range time but never hunting. This past year he had a major ear surgery to try and repair the damage, Not sure if he had cochlear implants or what.

Now he said shooting causes actual pain, and wants the brake removed.

I didn't get the whole story but this is a good example why we should ALWAYS wear ear plugs.

I always have a pair with me even when hunting with an unbraked gun, and if time allows will use them. I am much more serious about using them when a braked gun is involved.

All brakes are loud, don't let anyone fool you. I pack earplugs when hunting also. When you are shooting at 1000 yards you will have time to put them in. Best part about them is making it possible to spot your own shots. Check these out, great price and design Triple X 1" muzzle Brake

There's nothing wrong with breaks. You should be wearing ear protection regardless your gun has a break or not, hunting or not. I've seen people that have lost their hearing ability because they're diesel engine mechanics and prolonged exposure to that even causes hearing loss... My opinion

All brakes are loud, don't let anyone fool you. I pack earplugs when hunting also. When you are shooting at 1000 yards you will have time to put them in. Best part about them is making it possible to spot your own shots. Check these out, great price and design Triple X 1 muzzle Brake

If those are the Ross Schuller brakes be careful, I've had 3 people order my brakes complaining that Ross's were soft and the ports eroded before the barrel was at it's half life. Specifically some referred to them as a pc of edit.

But for the guys who don't shoot much go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
antelope2010023.jpg

My one and only "Muzzle Broke" rifle....338LM. Kind of a necessary evil for a big thumper. This one is a Badger FTE.....ugly as hell, but very effective.

I did shoot an antelope without earplugs with it during the heat of the battle a year or so ago....never again......grin!

I must agree with Sarg. I do not have a gun without a muzzle break. I have a 7mag and 6.5X300 Weatherby Mag all with muzzle breaks. The 7Mags ends up shooting like a 223 or 243 depending on charge and bullet weight. The 300 is heavier and shoots like a pea shooter. No recoil at all. I wear in ear protection so sound is not an issue but the ability to see where my bullet lands and to follow up with a second shot is a big bonus. Try this, go shoot your friends biggest caliber rifle and then have him load the gun for you for further shots. During one shot (unknown by you) have him hand you an empty rifle and you will see if you flinch. Doing exactly this, I flinch. I do not with a break. I am a big fan of breaks or maybe I am just soft but I do not want to flinch.

Give yourself a "break" and get a "BRAKE" for your rifle. With proper safety gear (hearing and eye protection) shooting, esp. on the bench could be more tolerable and staying on target after shot is always nice . Easy target re-acquisition (if necessary) is augmented.

If those are the Ross Schuller brakes be careful, I've had 3 people order my brakes complaining that Ross's were soft and the ports eroded before the barrel was at it's half life. Specifically some referred to them as a pc of $edit

But for the guys who don't shoot much go for it.

They are made by Triple X, not the Ross guy you referred to. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I wasn't sure, it says stainless steel but does not list any hardness specs, or alloy grade.
Tikka L. do you know if they harden those brakes? have you tried one.

I see they have some 56" soft cases, those look great I think I'm going to send for one, have you tried those?
Soft Rife Case, extra long, premium quality, USA made

I bought one for my buddy and he put it on his 308, works great. I'll have to check on the hardness. Those cases are awesome, I have had one since October, very top quality, huge zippers. I like to open it all the way up and use it as my shooting mat (very cozy) and the handles are actually in the right spot so the barrel end doesn't drag in the dirt perfectly balanced with my 30" barreled Edge.

My 7mm STW has one and yes they do work great.
The noise level is high and shooting prone or where there is a lot of loose material you need to be ready to close your eyes or wear shooting glasses.
I can shoot my STW with only one hand.

I threw on one of Jim's four port Muscle Brakes on my 270 WSM, more just for practice on lathe work but also to see what it would do and I will not go without one again!! Last weekend I was watching bullet holes magically appear at 100yrds while shooting of the bench with a bipod. My dad was two benches over and could not feel the brake or any kind of concussion and he didn't think that it was that loud even. Another barrel gets a more appropriate three port this weekend, I went from brake hater of the month to not shooting without one it was that big of a change for the good!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.