Muzzle Breaks

ramrod79

Good evening I have a topic maybe some of you can help me out with and it's breaks.
I'm not a stranger to muzzle breaks and have ran a few different styles and we all know that with out ear plugs they can be sharp on ears. This latest build is a 338 Sherman Short Mag witch I had build on all Canadian parts. The only thing that I was Going to get ordered in was a MBM break for it but at last minute the gun smith had another smith from Saskatchewan that makes his own breaks offer a 4 port that fit the bill so I said to install it.
Now during the last year with this outfit I have always had my hearing protection in and break is effective letting me shoot all day and spot my shots. This season I let a buddy shoot his cow elk with my rifle and while spotting I unknowingly left my ear plugs out ,and well it was not a sharp noise like normal, and I paid it no attention at all until later when I realized that I had not ear plugs in. This past week I took a WT buck, and it all happened really fast and again had no time for ear plugs although I had ear flaps of hat down, and again this thing is quiet!!
So I guess does this mean my break is not as efficient as it should be because of how quiet it is? Should I try another brand to see if there is a difference could I be absorbing more recoil than needed due to a not so efficient break? I mean I'm shouting 230 bullets at 2900 ft/sec, and this thing is a kitty cat to shoot my kid shoots it has no issues either.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The gun will be going back to smith this winter so have my switch barrel installed and I will be using a MBM break this time on the second barrel but it will be in a 6.5 PRC so not much comparison in recoil between the two.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining at all just seems very odd from past experiences. Let me also add the last 2 times I have had it tapped with green frog tape due to snowy conditions would that contribute ? I have also attached picture of break for anyone who may ask to see it
9ABCEA1A-E254-4A14-BB8F-F5831A857361.jpeg

Different styles of brake designs produce less perceived noise "BUT" they can still heart your ears even though they sound quieter. We did a lot of DB testing on different designs and found very little difference in the DB level even though there was a perceived difference (What the shooter or bystander felt/heard) Location of the muzzle
around reflective surfaces can greatly change the perceived sound and the position of the bystander can also have a large effect on what you hear, so don't take one shot as a sign of a brakes quietness until you have shot it many times. We found only 2 to 3 DB differences between braked and un braked rifles, but noticeable differences in the perceived sound So you may have a brake that lends it's self to being more comfortable to shoot, but don't get a false sense of not having to use ear protection.

J E CUSTOM

From the picture it looks like the ports run straight through which would not direct muzzle blast as much rearward as if the ports were angled To the rear slightly that also does affect efficiency I would think if they were angled slightly to the rear it would reduce recoil more but also be louder

They are pretty much straight through I first though of that as well but then I looked at my Benchmark 3 port Miller breaks they are straight through. When I get my second barrel done I may get another break as well just to see the difference.

They are pretty much straight through I first though of that as well but then I looked at my Benchmark 3 port Miller breaks they are straight through. When I get my second barrel done I may get another break as well just to see the difference.

Please take no offense but it is "brake", not break. I have a few MBs with ports that are 90 degrees (straight from 2-5 ports) and the ones that are angled seems to be more effective. MBM's brakes are excellent and affordable esp. for self-indexing.

Good luck!

Go to shoot long.com and check out the terminator line of muzzle brakes I have a terminator t4 on my 338 Lapua and recoil is comparable or less than the 308

Geez! I did say it politely. This is not about spelling and not the first it has been misused or my best intentions misconstrued as you did.
If you didn't mean to offend anyone why bring it up and post it now you're calling me misconstrued which offends me again

If you didn't mean to offend anyone why bring it up and post it now you're calling me misconstrued which offends me again

Are you serious? You might want to find out what it means. The message was not even intended for you. I for one would like to be corrected if I have misused a word, instead of continuing the same mistake.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.