Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?

• Yes: I like it.

Votes: 340 55.7%
  • No: I am not a wimp.

Votes: 114 18.7%
  • No: But I am seriously thinking of one.

Votes: 156 25.6%

• Total voters
Like I said, If you don't hunt in the Southeast you'll never get it. I don't know what you call long range, but to me, it's past 300. And while your busy wondering what you could've done different, I'll be taking pictures with my trophy.

I have lived on the east coast, and I know what the hunting is like. I have never been in an area there where I felt I needed a 300 Win Mag. Now that isn't saying that you can't use one, but you aren't using it in the way most around here would feel is long range, that is usually 600+ and there are guys here regularly shooting past 1000 yards. I'm not quite on that level yet, but 450 yards on a mule deer in Colorado felt like a chip shot.

To me, "long range" requires time to set up, range the animal, calculate drop and wind, and dial in the trajectory. Shots are never made on running animals, and if the conditions aren't right, I won't make the shot. Putting in ear protection is part of my routine.

Like I said, If you don't hunt in the Southeast you'll never get it. I don't know what you call long range, but to me, it's past 300. And while your busy wondering what you could've done different, I'll be taking pictures with my trophy.

rather presumptuous and atopical

hearing protection in the short run is better than hearing aids in the long run

hearing loss is a proven phenomenon, not speculation or inuendo

be safe and happy hunting!

richard

So you can save a little shoulder pain by lugging 100 lbs of lead from your car, up the stairs, then down to the underground range--back up and out to the car for your rifle, a few handguns, ammo, etc.......yeah, right!

Next day go to the chiropractor to adjust you back when you threw it out hauling that 100 pound bag off lead back to the car. By that time your knees are shot. Can hardly wait until next week and pay to use the range and mess up my back again. Purple shoulder looking pretty goog!!!

I have really enjoyed the use of Muzzle Brakes on my lighter weight and larger cartridge rifles. I use B&B Muzzleworks Muzzle masters. They throw the shock wave forward and are quieter to the shooter and the next bench over than a barrel without a Brake. They are also adjustable and do about the same thing as adjusting seating depth. Spendy but worth it!

I have lived on the east coast, and I know what the hunting is like. I have never been in an area there where I felt I needed a 300 Win Mag. Now that isn't saying that you can't use one, but you aren't using it in the way most around here would feel is long range, that is usually 600+ and there are guys here regularly shooting past 1000 yards. I'm not quite on that level yet, but 450 yards on a mule deer in Colorado felt like a chip shot.

To me, "long range" requires time to set up, range the animal, calculate drop and wind, and dial in the trajectory. Shots are never made on running animals, and if the conditions aren't right, I won't make the shot. Putting in ear protection is part of my routine.

I wasn't debating whether or not he needed a .300 Win Mag. I was simply saying that when you have time like my 570 yard KS buck, hearing protection is an easy decision. Wear it. But when you don't have time it is also an easy decision. Pull the trigger.

I've seen enough bucks get away because one little thing didn't go right. I won't be looking at a buck and not shoot him because I'm not wearing hearing protection. And I don't think many on this forum would put the rifle down and put hearing protection on when they have a great buck in the scope.

rather presumptuous and atopical
Only presumptuous if I know putting hearing protection in would've let the buck get away. It would have.

hearing protection in the short run is better than hearing aids in the long run
Agreed. I may be deaf when I'm old, but I'll be able to see all my bucks on the wall. ;)

hearing loss is a proven phenomenon, not speculation or inuendo
Who's debating that?

be safe and happy hunting!

richard

We all have and will take that shot at a nice buck w/wo hearing protection and w/wo brake if/when necessary. (I'm guilty as charged)

My point is simply that hearing protection should be worn whenever possible regardless of whether you have a brake. It really shouldn't be a factor in the decision to brake or not.

Specific to LRH (beyond point blank or holding hair)... I contend that if you don't have time to protect your ears, you probably don't have time to properly dope your shot.

JMO
-- richard

I'm at zero disadvantage with my electronic ear muffs and I've actually picked up on game that others have not and gotten shots in thick stuff all while enjoying the comfort of shooting a rifle with a brake. No directional issues either, no ears ringing and no recoil just shooting and dragging gun)The hardest part about hunting with electronic ear protection of some kind is making yourself do it, after a while you'll be missing them if you forget!!

The truth is that a brake and hearing protection are used during practice. One reduces the felt recoil and the other protects your ears. Out in the woods the muffs are gone and the brake is optional. A suppresor could be subbed for the brake.
In the West I have never had a shot much over 100 yards so don't feel left out. I'm just looking for a decent brake for a .338 Federal in an AR 10 not a .300 Win Mag.

by all means put the brake on !!!!! you will be suprised !!
most come with a replacement tip to protect the threads if you want to remove it for hunting ??? :)gun)

He didn't ask about hearing protection. He just wants to know if he would benefit from a brake. I'm new to this but, my 300 win mag doesn't have a brake and my buddy's 7 mag does. In my opinion I would put one on. It makes a big difference in how enjoyable it is to shoot a bigger cartridge rifle. In my own inexperienced opinion.

I have shot rifles with and without brakes up to .50 BMG; and the difference is amazing. Yes it is louder and yes it can cause hearing damage, but you will shoot more and get more out of practice.

Seeing the bullet strike also aids in follow-on shots in the field.

Darrell Holland is building a new .300 WM for me and it will have a muzzle brake, the first I will own.

I have a savage in 300 wm and the first stop for this rifle was to defensive edge to have shaun put one of his breaks on. I tell you what, he did it right when he developed his break. Its very loud and the ground shakes when you touch it off, but i have shot AR's with more felt recoil, and I can spot my own shots from 400 and beyond.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.