Muzzle brake on a 300 Win Mag?

Do you have a brake on your 300 Win Mag?

• Yes: I like it.

Votes: 340 55.7%
  • No: I am not a wimp.

Votes: 114 18.7%
  • No: But I am seriously thinking of one.

Votes: 156 25.6%

• Total voters
Rarely does anyone shoot less or shoot worse after having a good brake properly installed. ...most shoot more and better.

Whether you use a lead sled or remove your brake for hunting, you need to verify your POI under the same conditions as you hunt.

Brake or not, wear hearing protection.

-- richard

The brakes alot of times are threaded on. So if you want for hunting, you can just use rifle w/thread protector,and have it both ways. I hunt with a set of those earplugs on a plastic semi circle , I walked up on a bull this year,and took the split second to put them in, hang on my neck

I agree with Richard brake or not hearing protection is a must. I myself am not a big fan of brakes (except on cars those are a life saver :D) I always use a sandbag between my rifle and sholder when at the range. I have been made fun of several times but at then end of the day after shooting up to 100 magnum rifle rounds in different calibers my sholder does not even know that we went to the range. You could also work up a load with a lighter bullet that would help as well.
If you do get a brake and do any prone shooting make sure you get a side discharge or else you might get a face full of dirt.

Check out the Muscle brake at Centershotrifles.com I have one on my 338 Ultra mag and it kicks like a 308, makes it really fun to shoot.
Tarey

Shot a 300win hunting in high-school and hated it.recently built a 300 Weatherby with a break
great shooting experience.

Shot a 300win hunting in high-school and hated it.recently built a 300 Weatherby with a break,
great shooting experience.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it helps.
With 100 votes in it is quite informative.

muzzle breaks are more than just for comfort even the .300 winchester with moderate use can cause retina separation from the eye ball its about your health also:)gun)

Last edited:
"Check out the Muscle brake at Centershotrifles.com I have one on my 338 Ultra mag and it kicks like a 308, makes it really fun to shoot."

I did two years ago. My 338WinMag has the recoil of a 308 as well. I am very happy with my muscle brake. :D

My Muscle Brake just arrived for my 300 WM and I can't wait to get it put on. While it is true that you don't really notice the recoil in the field, being able to watch your shot is awesome. Also, if you are really hunting LR, you should be practicing shooting like you will in the field, not from a sled.

I have a break on my 300. I didnt like shooting it without. I dont care for the noise of a break though. I just ordered a 7mm to try to get a happy medium. I will hunt without a break from now on, I think. I dont wear ear protection while hunting. I shoot about 20 shots a year hunting.

I've got a brake on my 300 win and i have brakes on most. Mainly due to the fact that I hunt alone most of the time and I just like to tame the muzzle jump so that I can see bullet impact at distances.
I use two---the vais and the dlask. Both work great.

Randy

I have to laugh when those opposed to brakes call those of us who enjoy the benefits of a better shooting rifle wimps. What do we call a guy whose afraid of a little noise? I don't use a brake because I worry about my shoulder. It is a fact that it is much easier to spot impacts with a brake and the rifle handles better. It is true I used to hate when a guy would show up at the range with one before I got one but I don't buy my guns to impress the guy at the range. As a hunting guide I have had to sit next to a brake while shading the shooters eyes more than once. It doesn't make me mad at all. What bothers me is when they miss or worse wound something. If it helps you shoot better I'm all for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.