300 Wsm Muzzle Brake???

HOGGHEAD

I have been ground hog hunting this year with a Rock River Varminter in .223 Wylde. This rifle has allowed me to fully visualize my impacts. I did not realize how important to shooting that was until I started using my RR.

I just restocked a Savage 12FVSS in 300 WSM that I would like to use for long range shooting, and hunting. I just joined a 1,000 yard club here in WV. I am not concerned about using my 300WSM for 1,000 yards, but I am interested in 400 to 600 yard shooting.

My question is simple. Is there a muzzle brake that I can put on my 12FVSS to be able to see bullet impacts?? Or am I barking up a tree?? The rifle will be used for ground hog's, deer, and shooting paper.

If I can not find a muzzle brake that works, I will rebarrel the rifle to a cartridge and brake that will work. IMO the popularity of the 6.5X284 for long range shooting may have something to do with the fact that impacts can be seen with heavy barrels?? Tom.

IMG_0405.jpg

HH; I've hunted with .300 Mags, (longest shot just 285yds) but I still don't think that a brake is going to let you see the hit at 400-600 yds. I have done a lot of 600yd target shooting and a little 1000yd. It takes me at least a second to recover from muzzle flash ( longer in poor light) and recoil. In that time the bullet is probably over 500yds downrange. Every once in awhile, I might pick up the bullet trace in my scope, but even when I can, I just see it coming up through the scope and I've never been able to pick it up coming back down.

Don't let me stop you from trying, though. It might work for you.

I sometimes hunt with a 12 lb. 7mm-08 (Ugly Baby) and I do see the hit on the animal, including 1 turkey neck at 140yds, and 1 turkey head at 85yds. (for the shotgunners who think that's unsporting, try it).

A last thought; I don't like hunting with a rifle with a brake on it.

LOL, Tom

Forgot to say how much I like your stock! I don't like thumbholes on hunting rifles, but man! I'd have to try to live with that one. Is it stained-down striped maple, or just really fine fiddleback walnut? I would carry a picture of it in my billfold if it was mine.

I do admire fine wood.

Tom

Give Natthen Dagley at Strait shot gunsmithing a call, his V-port brake is the best I've used short of the big monster that JP makes

His board name here is "308nate" and their is a link to his web site in my signature box bellow

Depending upon the bullet weight you select, I believe a Badger brake like the ones Chris Mathews installs will let you see the impact. Lighter bullets like 155 or 168 grain should let you see the impact. I can see impacts at 500 yard with my 6.5X284 shooting 140 grain bullet with no brake. I can also see 500 yard impacts using my 7mmSAUM Sendero shooting 162 gr bullets. Both of these are on steel plate.

I have a 300 wsm, Bob Hart put a brake on it for me this past summer and it makes a tremendous difference. Bob is at Robert W. Hart & Son in Nescopeck, PA. Not so far for you. Talk to Bob, I'm sure he can help you.

Hogghead

Depends on shooting position. As mentioned the Hart Brake works well and I have owned a few. BUT if you plan on shooting prone skip the Hart and similar styles and go with a brake that doesn't have bottom ports unless you like to eat dirt sand and any other debris that you are laying in. The Badger and Ops work great but look tactical, you could also check out the defensive edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts