Muzzle brake is opening up groups

To be honest I'm a little reluctant to send my gun to this guy now so I may just have to accept it and get another smith to do the barrel job. As long as removing that amount of barrel and re crowning won't ruin a sweet gun. Is there any risk in this?

To be honest I'm a little reluctant to send my gun to this guy now so I may just have to accept it and get another smith to do the barrel job. As long as removing that amount of barrel and re crowning won't ruin a sweet gun. Is there any risk in this?
Minimal.

If it were me I'd simply make the guy who screwed it up turn you another brake with enough shank to screw it on properly and install it right.

If he gives a **** about his reputation he'll want to make it right.

I would not cut the barrel myself as the other fix is so much easier and has no risk.

Like I said before.....the threaded section of the brake is too short for the correct length of threads on the barrel. It's best to have the same length of threads as the diameter of the threads. It looks about right on the barrel threads but the brake is noticeably short. The first port isn't larger either. It looks that way because the threads are larger and it removes the back of the baffle when it is threaded. This happens when you steepen the angle on the ports. That doesn't really effect the performance since the gases strike the front of the baffle/port not the back. If you look at the outside edge of the port it is the same size on all three ports.

It's hard to say exactly what is causing your accuracy loss. It could be because the crown is too close to the first baffle, the clearance hole is too small, or your getting slight baffle strikes. I'd want a new brake at a minimum just so it looked right if nothing else. If a smith did this poor of a install I personally wouldn't trust him to re-crown my barrel.

Yeah I guess you're right. I'd rather have that done than shorten the barrel.
Minimal.

If it were me I'd simply make the guy who screwed it up turn you another brake with enough shank to screw it on properly and install it right.

If he gives a **** about his reputation he'll want to make it right.

I would not cut the barrel myself as the other fix is so much easier and has no risk.

That's cuz yer a pretty smart feller.gun)

L:cool:L! One thing I learned early on in this forum is that there is always somebody that is a lot smarter than I am with far more experience than I have and always willing and able to help another member ... as evidence of this thread.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 47
L:cool:L! One thing I learned early on in this forum is that there is always somebody that is a lot smarter than I am with far more experience than I have and always willing and able to help another member ... as evidence of this thread.

Cheers!
I totally agree. This is the one place I've ever been that I can learn something about shooting, loading, hunting etc. every day.

I would have given anything to have this type of resource forty years ago when I first got serious about shooting.

I totally agree. This is the one place I've ever been that I can learn something about shooting, loading, hunting etc. every day.

I would have given anything to have this type of resource forty years ago when I first got serious about shooting.

+2 Well put Sir! I have learned more in the short time I've been here than in my previous 40+ years of figurin for myself. I suspect my teacher was to blame :D

+2 Well put Sir! I have learned more in the short time I've been here than in my previous 40+ years of figurin for myself. I suspect my teacher was to blame :D
No blame needed. Resources such as this website simply did not exist when we were young.

You could not have gotten the same information we have at our fingertips every day here in years or even decades of buying books and talking to the other shooters you met.

Much of the technical information we use every day today didn't even exist then.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.