Groups Opening Up Recently?

OK, i just got back from the range. Shot some yesterday and some again today and am still a little unsure of what I found.

To start I took the scope off of my .308 that isn't grouping great and put it on my 6.5 Creedmoor and I feel confident that the scope is ok. Target #1 is a group shot with the 6.5 with the scope from the .308. I pulled one shot but the group looks good. Shot a couple of 5 shots groups and they where both similar.

Next I took the scope from my 6.5 and put it on my .308. For reference the #2 pic is of a typical 3 shot group my .308 would shoot before the groups began opening up. Pic #3 is of the same load neck sized from today and #4 is a group full length sized from today. Those seem like they are not bad (I can live with these for shooting long range steel).

Then I tried another manufactured load that my rifle tends to shoot well and got wide groups again. Pic #5, pic #6 and Pic #7 are the same ammo. These pics are posted in the post below this one.

I rotated between the 6.5 and .308 allowing both rifles to not get too warm. Overall the .308 shot ok but not as good as before and the one very open group has me scratching my head still.

Another thing to mention is that when I initially removed the scope from the 308 the 1/2" nut that holds the scope base to the rail was looser that the other nut but none of the screws on the base or rings where what I would consider loose enough to effect accuracy. All the other screws were still torqued properly.

Attachments

• 1. 6.5 with .308 Scope.jpg
    1. 6.5 with .308 Scope.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 2..jpg
    2..jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 3..jpg
    3..jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 4..jpg
    4..jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 67
Targets 5, 6 and 7 referenced in the post above.

Attachments

• 5..jpg
    5..jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 6..jpg
    6..jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 7..jpg
    7..jpg
    70 KB · Views: 76
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.