Velocity= groups opening up

Trappernewt

26" 1 in 7.5 twist proof CF Sendero on a Kelbly Nanook. Manners PH stock with mini chassis.

Edited for my stupidity: the is a 6.5 Creedmoor

I loaded up some 130 ELDM's over Varget on fresh Peterson brass with BR2 primers. Started @ 1gr below book max and loaded in .5 grain increments to book max of 38.2gr. Then went in .2 grain increments to 39gr cleaning ever 3 shots. The best group was @ 37.7grains @2745fps. Once speed increased the groups opened up and deviation increased. To light of a bullet?

Attachments

• IMG_1249.png
    IMG_1249.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I'd check again with fire formed brass and do a pressure test. You will probably find an accuracy node with a powder charge above book max but you have to do a pressure test so that you know what is a safe powder charge. Load up 1 round going up in .5gr increments and watch for pressure signs every shot. Look for a flat spot in velocity between 2-3 powder charges and load in the middle of the node.

There's no point trying to find an accurate load with virgin brass unless you plan on shooting virgin brass all the time.

I didn't have any pressure signs at 39gr and the velocity was 2828fps. I was more or less wondering if I should continue to try to gain speed while finding pressure signs or just jump to a heavier bullet like a 147 ELDM and start over being my rifle is a 7.5 twist.

Attachments

• IMG_1250.png
    IMG_1250.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 23
Did you test seating depth at the higher charge weights? If it is shooting MOA , it may be worth testing longer or shorter depending on your mag restrictions. Watch for pressure signs as you do.

I do have rifles that just won't shoot fast/higher end of the charge weights listed. But they all have personalities.

Did you test seating depth at the higher charge weights? If it is shooting MOA , it may be worth testing longer or shorter depending on your mag restrictions. Watch for pressure signs as you do.

I do have rifles that just won't shoot fast/higher end of the charge weights listed. But they all have personalities.
No, all rounds were loaded at the same seating depth. Jumping .020. I was trying to get to 3000fps before hitting pressure and looking at group size in the mean time. I'm not a veteran reloader so I'm not really familiar on what to in some situations. I've not seen groups continue to open up more as speed increases like this. Especially using a bullet that's not typically picky.

If this is a 6.5 Creedmoor. Your not going to see 3000 FPS with a 130. I can't do it with a 124 running pretty stout. 2750 is pretty good for a Creed. Folks getting higher with RL26, but I think those are pretty stout too.

Filled up to the case shoulder, not a compressed load at all but I have a larger case. and I am running 3000 ft./s.
IMG_5910.png

26" 1 in 7.5 twist proof CF Sendero on a Kelbly Nanook. Manners PH stock with mini chassis.

Edited for my stupidity: the is a 6.5 Creedmoor

I loaded up some 130 ELDM's over Varget on fresh Peterson brass with BR2 primers. Started @ 1gr below book max and loaded in .5 grain increments to book max of 38.2gr. Then went in .2 grain increments to 39gr cleaning ever 3 shots. The best group was @ 37.7grains @2745fps. Once speed increased the groups opened up and deviation increased. To light of a bullet?
Varget is not the correct powder to be using with a 130. H4350 will almost universally give better results.

Stop cleaning the rifle every few shots. Let it get fouled in and do your work in the fouled state.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate