Muzzle brake is opening up groups

johnino

I have a Rem Sendero 7mm Mag shooting 1/3 MOA. I decided to send it off and have a brake fitted. Since I got it back I've been shooting terribly. I took it off the other day and I was shooting great again. Put it back on and groups opened up to 4MOA. I'll try and load a pick of the spread and what the brake looks like. I wonder if it's been made to slim. Would that create this problem?
IMG_0639_zps3a8e1ef0.jpg

Target below POA was the lower star

muzzlebraketestresults_zps0797b579.jpg

When you add anything to your muzzle, it changes your harmonics. You will need to do load development with your muzzle brake on.
If a competent gunsmith put on the brake, he will have opened it up enough to where your bullets are not hitting it.

Maybe it the picture but it looks like the muzzle is protruding way into the first baffle, that may not be good but its may just be the way the pic is.

I didn't realise load development needed to be done again. I looked through magnification and projectiles don't appear to be touching. I'm not feeling any significant reduction in recoil either.
I've since learned the guys a backyard gunsmith probably self taught. Perhaps I just take the hit and move on. Get a real gunsmith to make one.
When you add anything to your muzzle, it changes your harmonics. You will need to do load development with your muzzle brake on.
If a competent gunsmith put on the brake, he will have opened it up enough to where your bullets are not hitting it.

Sometimes you have to tune up your load but you should not blow your group up, I've never seen one that far into the first baffle, you should definitely be noticing some recoil reduction, do you have calipers that you can measure the size of the through hole?

The threaded section of the brake is really short. It doesn't really appear to be threaded too long either so either the brake came with a really short threaded section or he screwed up timing it several times.

There should be a noticeable difference in recoil with a good brake. Threads should not be visible in the first baffle. Perhaps he neglected to re-crown the barrel after cutting threads?? Can you upload a picture with the brake off?

There should be a noticeable difference in recoil with a good brake. Threads should not be visible in the first baffle. Perhaps he neglected to re-crown the barrel after cutting threads?? Can you upload a picture with the brake off?

+1 Roger all that. The crown appears to be gone and the barrel extending into the first baffle is going to negate the recoil reduction. He did do a nice job turning the brake to match the barrel though. Perhaps a smith could turn a threaded spacer / jam nut to position the brake correctly and to assist in timing the brake. Then work up your load again when it's all done. Just an idea. Good luck.

DocB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.