MT Elk Regulations Should Change!

Here's a scenario for you i had been putting in for Antelope in Montana for 8 years finally drew this year, saw NR in same unit hunting Antelope is that fair there hunting montana before I get the opportunity?
I've been putting in for Moose, Sheep and goat for 32 years nada is it fair a NR gets one of those tags before me as a resident for 32 years?

From a management stand point are you better off having 2-3 years old deer and elk breeding or 5-6?
The age should not matter. He'll have the same genes at age 3 as age 6.
Are you managing for population reduction or trophy class? Sounds like Montana is more towards the reduction of the herd which I am assuming 🙄 you are against.
I agree with some of your points but this is a complaint with Montana F&G

Bottom line to all this, unless we as hunters start looking at this in a different way wether your a resident or NR and teaching the younger generation to do whats best for the game herds no matter what state your hunting there won't be any hunting no matter if its legal or not
Right is right and wrong is wrong.
Its alot easier to do when there young my son in law and I explained to my grandson at an early age and thats why he gets it now at 19.

Here's a scenario for you i had been putting in for Antelope in Montana for 8 years finally drew this year, saw NR in same unit hunting Antelope is that fair there hunting montana before I get the opportunity?
I've been putting in for Moose, Sheep and goat for 32 years nada is it fair a NR gets one of those tags before me as a resident for 32 years?
Answer me this.
Are you hunting on your own private property or public property?
How many years did it take the the NR to get the tag? And how much money did that whole process cost them?
Did you get to hunt antelope in those 8 years while you waited for that select area?

Sherm, 32 years is to long, go some place else.
As a resident you should have one a long time ago! Draw system isn't working or maybe it is!
I have the same issue in Illinois! Sometimes not fair!!
I'm not paying 20,000 plus to go do that somewhere else. The point of that is things need to change, change is hard.
I agree draw system should be preference if you have most points reward for hanging in there which I do for all 3.
10% are suppose to go to NR if 1 is available that also should go to has most points.

Answer me this.
Are you hunting on your own private property or public property?
How many years did it take the the NR to get the tag? And how much money did that whole process cost them?
Did you get to hunt antelope in those 8 years while you waited for that select area?
Nope, BMA
2nd does it matter how long your not answering my question should a NR get the opportunity before a Resident
3rd no antelope hunting in those 8 years, first one i have ever taken. Before that Antelope always interfered with work or other stuff

And how much money did that whole process cost them?
So he's entitled because he spent x amount of dollars, once again a NR always pulls the money card.
I am a NR hunter, I just ate a 661.00 wyoming tag no complaints on my part.
Would i do it again? You bet.

The money issue is what you are fighting your F+G wouldn't give up all that money.
Also I have utilized public land in many states (10 plus states) and never have I seen a sign that said that said Residents have priority usage I have never read it in any game regulations and I definitely have never seen anywhere that says the animals that abide in the public land are set aside for priority rights by the residents of the state they abide in!
You talk as if these animals are yours.

You talk as if these animals are yours.
Are they Montana elk and deer?
Are the Wyoming elk and deer?
Are they Colorado elk and deer?
Are they N.M elk and deer?
Managed by who?
Your trying to twist things, IS IT RIGHT THAT A NR HAVE PRIORITIES OVER RESIDENTS simple yes or no.
Money, money money always a NR card

Last edited:
This is exactly what is wrong with hunting today MONEY!.
I forgot to add in the 12 years of wyoming preference point costs so I had about 1,000 into that tag. So was I entitled to a buck because I spent X amount of dollars on tag, fuel etc and donated to the local economy? Or did I do the right thing and come home empty handed for the sake of wyoming region g deer herd? I'd do the same thing all over again in the same situation no matter what state I was hunting.

Last edited:
10% are suppose to go to NR if 1 is available that also should go to has most points.
Only 10% for NR? So residents getting 90% isn't enough for you?
I don't understand what percentage you would need to be happy.
I'm sorry we see things so differently but everyone can't agree on everything.
I'm tagging out, good day.

Recent Posts