MT Special Elk Permit

Another option is to donate the meat. Not sure what you guys have in your area but last year I donated 2 deer and 2 antelope to the mission via my meat processor and also some to the community food bank.

Awesome tag, I know a bunch of guys that hit that area and do good, it's taken a couple years to figure it out but once you do the picking are gooooood!!! They all pulled cow tags as well, they can shoot 10 elk I think.
The Bob can be harsh unless your with some one who has hunted it most their life, if you find them they can be some old bulls but you'll earn them usually unless you can get on a ranch on the front.
Good luck to ya!

Hey, if they want to give a new guy to the area some tips I'm all ears. ;)

My hunting partner's cousin hunts there every year, so we are counting on him for some leads.

Yes, the Bob has been tought the last two years. Three years ago, pre-wolf, I saw a decent number of elk. The next year, none in the Bob, two bulls close on the front the last day but only had a cow tag there. Last year, two cows just inside the Bob the night before the season then NOTHING, not even on the front, despite people having good luck for archery season. Talked to a lot of locals, the elk simply weren't there...anywhere....anymore. One guy got a 6X6 in the Bob while we were there but he said it was the only elk he saw in 2 full weeks on horseback!

We leave Thursday for 6 full days and 2 partial days of hunting. My intel on the area is promising, and the interesting part is that my on-the-ground info backs up what I would have done through map and internet research.

Time will tell....there are three of us going, we are all very non-engaged in work right now ;)

Just got back from our hunt. The regulars there we ran into, to a man, told us the elk numbers are WAY below what they have ever seen in the Breaks. Couple that with unseasonably hot weather (85-87 degrees our last two days) and it was some rough hunting.

However we did see elk each day, including a couple real trophy bulls. They are so pressured though that they are pretty much nocturnal (one day we bumped a herd before daylight only 150 yds from camp) and quickly bury themselves in the deepest cover right after daybreak, and don't bugle/talk much and certainly don't come in to calls.

I ended up being the lucky one from our group. With 9 other hunters in the same general area one day, we gave up on spot-and-stalk and just put ourselves where two drainages came together as we had seen a lot of bulls in the area and we knew 2 of the other hunters were going to flank the area and may spook something across our point of trees. Just before dark, an ok 5X6 bull busted out of the brush at 75 yards and trotted out to 30 yards, turning broadside. He was not the 360 bull we'd been tailing earlier in the day but I was not about to turn down that shot with only 2 days to go...I'd say he'll go about 230-240. I can post a pic when I have them uploaded. It was my first archery elk and quite a memorable hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.