MT Elk Opener

Wow yesterday was a long one. We left at 3:30AM for a brutal uphill climb. We had scouted some elk a few weeks ago and we have had success here before and we were really liking our prospects. It was cold, and raining, lightning was flashing in the distance which is really strange for how cold it is. We arrived at our spot that affords both the potential to shoot an elk and some great views of distant open hillsides- and it was early, and we were soaking wet and the temperature was dropping hard. It got light and we didn't see anything for a while. At around 10AM my buddy said he heard a cow behind us, which would put it on the downslope of the ridge we were sitting close to the top of. Since I was freezing I thought it was a good idea to climb up there and look over the other side. I just took my rifle and took about 30 steps up from our perch when my view changed and I saw 3 elk right where we expect them to be but in a pocket that is just out of view from where we were sitting. I hit the dirt and started trying to get ready, I could only see that one was a cow and could not identify the other two. The hill was so steep that I had on leg of my bipod all the way out and the other all the way in and I could still not get my gun level. Ranged them- 464 YDS. I crammed the short leg of my bipod into the dirt far enough to get level, but I couldn't get behind my gun very well. I dialed up the March. By this time I had realized that there were 2 good bulls with that cow but I had to wait for them to clear some vegetation that was on a ridge between them and I. I took my binoculars off in an attempt to get behind my weapon but I still couldn't shoulder it proper. When he cleared the tree and was standing broadside I let one fly for a perfect high shoulder shot. He didn't move an inch other than the 100 or so yards he tumbled because the terrain is so steep.

It took us a while just to get over to him and from there we really had our work cut out for us. We got three quarters off but in trying to get the fourth we had to roll him and he rolled a lot farther than we would have liked. So we climbed down and got the fourth. Then it happened again as we were trying to get at the back-straps and other meat. Just getting all the meat up to the ridge was quite an ordeal and it had started snowing really hard, like 2" fell while we were cleaning and getting ready for transport. We finally got him to the ridge and decided it was best to get him off the mountain but not all the way to the truck. We took the hinds and as much personal stuff as we could carry. Then we went back for the rest of the meat, the head, and all of the rest of our gear which was a lot because we had planned to spike out so we had tents, sleeping bags, food all that stuff.

My best bull, and a very good one for this area. Doing it the hard way on public land.
View attachment 155228

Getting it all in one place in deteriorating conditions.
View attachment 155226

The 168 Grain 7MM ABLR launched from my 280AI at 2900FPS, 464 YDS, 62.5% weight retention.
View attachment 155227

EXCELLENT Job, Sir, and I envy you to no
end!!
Man, I not only wish I had access to that kind of hunting but that my health and physical issues would permit some hard hunting like so many years ago.
That said I can at least live vicariously through your actions and hunts.
I thank you all for that, by golly!!
God Bless and congrats on the successful hunt. I hope you enjoy MANY meals in the future made from my FAVORITE protein, ELK MEAT!!

Definitely opens up a little bit of debate doesn't it? I have shot a couple deer, an antelope and now this elk with the ABLR 168. Every one of them fell like a sack of potatoes. I do somewhat wonder what will happen with that bullet if I shoot something at 50 yds or less but I am going to stick with it so I'll probably answer that question some day.

Like you I tend to stick with what "works" once all parts and components are dialed in.
There's that saying that goes something like:
Beware the Man who owns but one gun for he likely knows how to use it.
And on a different (but similar) note there's the saying:
If it ain't broken, don't "fix" it.
As for what you'll find to happen at shorter ranges all things being equal, if experience is any indication, the bullet will more than likely shatter/fragment but it will likely reach deep enough to take out the vitals for a solid anchoring shot but at the cost of some bloodshot meat and some waste.
However only you can be the judge of whether or not you're willing to roll the dice and take the shot.
Good Luck.

Wow. You shot an elk where he fell a hundred yards? I guess this upstate New Yorker is gonna be in for a rude awakening. Lol

Congrats on that bull. I'd love to have him on my wall.

Wow yesterday was a long one. We left at 3:30AM for a brutal uphill climb. We had scouted some elk a few weeks ago and we have had success here before and we were really liking our prospects. It was cold, and raining, lightning was flashing in the distance which is really strange for how cold it is. We arrived at our spot that affords both the potential to shoot an elk and some great views of distant open hillsides- and it was early, and we were soaking wet and the temperature was dropping hard. It got light and we didn't see anything for a while. At around 10AM my buddy said he heard a cow behind us, which would put it on the downslope of the ridge we were sitting close to the top of. Since I was freezing I thought it was a good idea to climb up there and look over the other side. I just took my rifle and took about 30 steps up from our perch when my view changed and I saw 3 elk right where we expect them to be but in a pocket that is just out of view from where we were sitting. I hit the dirt and started trying to get ready, I could only see that one was a cow and could not identify the other two. The hill was so steep that I had on leg of my bipod all the way out and the other all the way in and I could still not get my gun level. Ranged them- 464 YDS. I crammed the short leg of my bipod into the dirt far enough to get level, but I couldn't get behind my gun very well. I dialed up the March. By this time I had realized that there were 2 good bulls with that cow but I had to wait for them to clear some vegetation that was on a ridge between them and I. I took my binoculars off in an attempt to get behind my weapon but I still couldn't shoulder it proper. When he cleared the tree and was standing broadside I let one fly for a perfect high shoulder shot. He didn't move an inch other than the 100 or so yards he tumbled because the terrain is so steep.

It took us a while just to get over to him and from there we really had our work cut out for us. We got three quarters off but in trying to get the fourth we had to roll him and he rolled a lot farther than we would have liked. So we climbed down and got the fourth. Then it happened again as we were trying to get at the back-straps and other meat. Just getting all the meat up to the ridge was quite an ordeal and it had started snowing really hard, like 2" fell while we were cleaning and getting ready for transport. We finally got him to the ridge and decided it was best to get him off the mountain but not all the way to the truck. We took the hinds and as much personal stuff as we could carry. Then we went back for the rest of the meat, the head, and all of the rest of our gear which was a lot because we had planned to spike out so we had tents, sleeping bags, food all that stuff.

My best bull, and a very good one for this area. Doing it the hard way on public land.
View attachment 155228

Getting it all in one place in deteriorating conditions.
View attachment 155226

The 168 Grain 7MM ABLR launched from my 280AI at 2900FPS, 464 YDS, 62.5% weight retention.
View attachment 155227

Troutslayer2,
I really enjoyed reading your story. You had me up on that mountain with you guys, the hike up, the rain and the cold, lightning, snow....trying not to spook 'em, then packing him out, all of it was great! I could visualize you trying to get those binoculars out of your way so you could seat the stock into your shoulder. Good stuff!

Definitely opens up a little bit of debate doesn't it? I have shot a couple deer, an antelope and now this elk with the ABLR 168. Every one of them fell like a sack of potatoes. I do somewhat wonder what will happen with that bullet if I shoot something at 50 yds or less but I am going to stick with it so I'll probably answer that question some day.

My son shot a doe at 565 yards and one at 30 yards with the 168 ABLR and the holes were the exact same with his 280 AI

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts