MT Elk Opener

Wow yesterday was a long one. We left at 3:30AM for a brutal uphill climb. We had scouted some elk a few weeks ago and we have had success here before and we were really liking our prospects. It was cold, and raining, lightning was flashing in the distance which is really strange for how cold it is. We arrived at our spot that affords both the potential to shoot an elk and some great views of distant open hillsides- and it was early, and we were soaking wet and the temperature was dropping hard. It got light and we didn't see anything for a while. At around 10AM my buddy said he heard a cow behind us, which would put it on the downslope of the ridge we were sitting close to the top of. Since I was freezing I thought it was a good idea to climb up there and look over the other side. I just took my rifle and took about 30 steps up from our perch when my view changed and I saw 3 elk right where we expect them to be but in a pocket that is just out of view from where we were sitting. I hit the dirt and started trying to get ready, I could only see that one was a cow and could not identify the other two. The hill was so steep that I had on leg of my bipod all the way out and the other all the way in and I could still not get my gun level. Ranged them- 464 YDS. I crammed the short leg of my bipod into the dirt far enough to get level, but I couldn't get behind my gun very well. I dialed up the March. By this time I had realized that there were 2 good bulls with that cow but I had to wait for them to clear some vegetation that was on a ridge between them and I. I took my binoculars off in an attempt to get behind my weapon but I still couldn't shoulder it proper. When he cleared the tree and was standing broadside I let one fly for a perfect high shoulder shot. He didn't move an inch other than the 100 or so yards he tumbled because the terrain is so steep.

It took us a while just to get over to him and from there we really had our work cut out for us. We got three quarters off but in trying to get the fourth we had to roll him and he rolled a lot farther than we would have liked. So we climbed down and got the fourth. Then it happened again as we were trying to get at the back-straps and other meat. Just getting all the meat up to the ridge was quite an ordeal and it had started snowing really hard, like 2" fell while we were cleaning and getting ready for transport. We finally got him to the ridge and decided it was best to get him off the mountain but not all the way to the truck. We took the hinds and as much personal stuff as we could carry. Then we went back for the rest of the meat, the head, and all of the rest of our gear which was a lot because we had planned to spike out so we had tents, sleeping bags, food all that stuff.

My best bull, and a very good one for this area. Doing it the hard way on public land.
View attachment 155228

Getting it all in one place in deteriorating conditions.
View attachment 155226

The 168 Grain 7MM ABLR launched from my 280AI at 2900FPS, 464 YDS, 62.5% weight retention.
View attachment 155227
Congrats! We spent 2 days hiking hard looking for a cow and while we saw several, nothing presented a clean shot. Bummer.

GREAT story and high country adventure! I'm sure you'll remember it for the rest of your life...and that's the best part. You'll have many more stories to tell grandchildren, if you don't already have them...lol. Congratulations on your harvest and I hope you get to have many many more.

Wow yesterday was a long one. We left at 3:30AM for a brutal uphill climb. We had scouted some elk a few weeks ago and we have had success here before and we were really liking our prospects. It was cold, and raining, lightning was flashing in the distance which is really strange for how cold it is. We arrived at our spot that affords both the potential to shoot an elk and some great views of distant open hillsides- and it was early, and we were soaking wet and the temperature was dropping hard. It got light and we didn't see anything for a while. At around 10AM my buddy said he heard a cow behind us, which would put it on the downslope of the ridge we were sitting close to the top of. Since I was freezing I thought it was a good idea to climb up there and look over the other side. I just took my rifle and took about 30 steps up from our perch when my view changed and I saw 3 elk right where we expect them to be but in a pocket that is just out of view from where we were sitting. I hit the dirt and started trying to get ready, I could only see that one was a cow and could not identify the other two. The hill was so steep that I had on leg of my bipod all the way out and the other all the way in and I could still not get my gun level. Ranged them- 464 YDS. I crammed the short leg of my bipod into the dirt far enough to get level, but I couldn't get behind my gun very well. I dialed up the March. By this time I had realized that there were 2 good bulls with that cow but I had to wait for them to clear some vegetation that was on a ridge between them and I. I took my binoculars off in an attempt to get behind my weapon but I still couldn't shoulder it proper. When he cleared the tree and was standing broadside I let one fly for a perfect high shoulder shot. He didn't move an inch other than the 100 or so yards he tumbled because the terrain is so steep.
Great story and super success!!! Thank you for sharing. Believe me, I do KNOW what you're talking about when you told of how difficult the whole ordeal was from getting set up for the shot to getting the bull and all of your equipment off the mountain. Pulling the trigger is the "Easy" part. It's after that that the work begins! Once again, thank you for sharing and CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT BULL!
It took us a while just to get over to him and from there we really had our work cut out for us. We got three quarters off but in trying to get the fourth we had to roll him and he rolled a lot farther than we would have liked. So we climbed down and got the fourth. Then it happened again as we were trying to get at the back-straps and other meat. Just getting all the meat up to the ridge was quite an ordeal and it had started snowing really hard, like 2" fell while we were cleaning and getting ready for transport. We finally got him to the ridge and decided it was best to get him off the mountain but not all the way to the truck. We took the hinds and as much personal stuff as we could carry. Then we went back for the rest of the meat, the head, and all of the rest of our gear which was a lot because we had planned to spike out so we had tents, sleeping bags, food all that stuff.

My best bull, and a very good one for this area. Doing it the hard way on public land.
View attachment 155228

View attachment 155226

The 168 Grain 7MM ABLR launched from my 280AI at 2900FPS, 464 YDS, 62.5% weight retention.
View attachment 155227

View attachment 155228

View attachment 155226

View attachment 155227

View attachment 155228

View attachment 155226

View attachment 155227

Awesome old set of antlers. Great character at the tips

I go a very different way on my 280ai. I load 150gr ABLR behind 54.5gr of hybrid 100v. I am not pushing at all and get 2960fps with 6 to 8 SD and good accuracy. My rifle has never shot the 165/168 well even with a 1/9 twisr

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts