Elk hunting Bozeman, MT

amork

So I have lived in montana for a couple years but just moved to bozeman this fall. I am looking to elk hunt this next fall with my dad and get him his first elk hopefully! I am wondering in a general area because I know people don't like giving up their honey holes where I could find a good population of elk. Im not really looking for huge trophies this next year but just a couple elk to fill the freezer with hopefully. Any input would be much appreciated and we'll probably just be using general tags unless we find or hear about a good spot to apply for.

So I have lived in montana for a couple years but just moved to bozeman this fall. I am looking to elk hunt this next fall with my dad and get him his first elk hopefully! I am wondering in a general area because I know people don't like giving up their honey holes where I could find a good population of elk. Im not really looking for huge trophies this next year but just a couple elk to fill the freezer with hopefully. Any input would be much appreciated and we'll probably just be using general tags unless we find or hear about a good spot to apply for.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you in that I havn't been in Montana long, and have been looking for hunting spots.

What worked well for me was first and foremost, doing research on the FWP website-

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Welcome to the Montana Hunt Planner!

It's got a ton of good information like harvest reports, population surveys, etc.

The other thing I did, once I narrowed it down a bit was to talk to locals. You're right about nobody wanting to give up honey holes, but many times you can get general information that will get you started.

If you're in Bozeman, you're right in the middle of many good areas- it's just a matter of doing some legwork, both on the computer and in the field.

Good luck!

Ron

You are in the middle of it. Pick a direction and start hiking. You will find them. Get out and do some hiking in areas that look good on the map or from the road. I lived in MT all my life and I go to new areas all the time. I just put in the leg work.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.