Most important gear on a hunt

I learned early on that a good fitting pair of tough waterproof boots was essential, so leaving out essentials (boots, gloves, gun, ammo, etc.) and looking at what is in the pack, I'd say that a surplus army poncho fits the bill for rainwear and acts as a small tarp, the rangefinder can double as your binocs and an effective lightweight knife/saw for elk field work, would be some choices.

Knee brace- I'm missing my acl and need to take it just in case
Binos- Swarovski 10x42 el range
Sig 226- just feel better with it

I don't know how far we are breaking things down. So I guess I can opionate the "specific need for the hunt" gear.

1. Method to take game. Rifle, shotgun, or bow. I'm more partial to western bow hunting, spot and stock, these years.

2. Substance to maintain the hunt.
Water. Maybe food.

3. Method to carry out game meat.
three day pack, horn hunter full curl, a paper bag, whatever. I've been digging the cabellas multiday pack I gave a try last year. I have a lot of mystery ranch stuff. If it's comfortable and works I'll use it.

All the other stuff like binos, spotters, rangerfinders, even babywipes are just convience for me, and I'm always thankful for convience when it's there.

That is a very good question. To be honest if I had to list the 3 most important things I would probably be standing there this time next year trying to decide. Seems like as I have gotten older and into long range the list of things has increased considerably. Don't like being wet, cold and miserable. Don't sleep very well if don't have decent pads, bags and tent. Feet need better taken care of. Need better packs to carry gear and game. Quality range finder, binoculars, scope, firearms, gps anyway guess you get the idea. Just not sure what would be the most important. Can't harvest if you can't see it, hit it. Can't be sucesssful if you you aren't prepare to stay out there. No reason to harvest if you can't take care of it and get it to the freezer. But will admit the question does make me think?

Only 3?

Well, if it is given for gun, ammo and the cloths and boots, I would go with binos, range finder and knife.

Once after having a poor few days of elk hunting, I decided to sleep late and drive to another area to simply scout. Grabbing my binos, range finder and strapping on my knife was about all I grabbed.

As luck would have it, I stumbled across a heard of 48 elk with 3 bulls moving quickly upslope. Only time was for a quick range to the hill and snapshot from a fast sitdown.

That was the least prepared elk kill I have ever experienced but one of the more memorable.

I like it when people give their list and then follow up with their 'primary' hunting location. It matters.

In Western Washington, it rained all the dang time (apparently true for many parts of Alaska, from what I've read.) In a place like that, the best quality rain gear you could find was pretty much up at the #1 spot. Once you were wet and miserable, the hunt was over.

In the Colorado mountains, it would get cold as Siberia when the sun dropped over the horizon, so a system of LAYERED CLOTHING that would wick sweat was #1.

In South Texas, it's the bugs that will drive you nuts so some type of bug repellent or 'head netting' rose to #1 for me, because if I'm getting bit and bothered 24/7, the hunting is suffering along with my attitude.

#2 is good boots but I'm going to ADD good, moisture wicking socks, too. I wear polypropylene (or whatever 'wonder-fabric' name they come up with for it) against my feet and - if it's going to be cold - I'll put a layer of wool sock over that. Once you get blisters, the hunt is over. Good boots help, but if you wear crappy cotton socks in them, you'll still be in trouble.

#3 is...what? So many things! How do you narrow it down to just three things? I need great clothes. I need a versatile knife. A good optic to find game is super useful. But I'm going with GPS/COMPASS. Get turned around in the rain forests of WA or the mountains of the Rockies and - well - you could die. Having some way to know where I am and how to get back to civilization has to be in there. Unless you're hunting your 'normal' spot over and over again. Then...fill the #3 spot with toilet paper. Or wet wipes. It's not only bears that dookie in the woods. (Maybe this should have been #2 because, well, you know ;) )

Last edited:
Seems to me 3 items just doesn't cut it. The most obvious is your preferred hunting instrument, be it rifle or bow. But they are useless without ammo/arrows. A knife is a must, for both skinning & butchering any game you may be fortunate to take, but also for general survival. A good pair of binos for spotting game. Appropriate clothing is essential. Same with navigation and survival equipment, water, food, first aid kit. If you're venturing out alone you should definitely consider taking a PLB. No point in making the kill of a lifetime if you can't survive in back country and find your way home.

I really like this question. Obviously, as others have noted, the gear needed depends on they style of hunt that you are going on (Backcountry, Midwest Treestand, etc.). However, I had to think, "what three things are the first things I make sure I grab on EVERY hunt". Those three are as follows.
1. Weapon
2. Appropriate Clothing System (Boots, Pants, Jacket, Layers)
3. Binos

P.S. I understand #2 encompasses more than just one item of gear, but in my opinion it is one complete system (i.e. it does you know good to have the best rain jacket on the market, but crappy rain pants). Also, I didn't include tag as a piece of gear, but it is the absolute first thing that goes in the pickup.

I'm a clutz so I want to add a small First Aid Kit and my BP Rx.
One year at camp I walked behind my truck smacked my leg on T-hitch I forgot was installed. Blood all over.. ended up going to ER in town for stitches.
Killed 2 deer later that same day. I'm glad we had a F.A. kit at the house it stopped most
of the bleeding.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.