need EVERYone's advice on gear

Re: 270

Where in NC are you? You might be near someone I would recommend to do the trigger job local. Ideally, the trigger shuold break like a glass rod at between 2.5 and 3.0 pounds. You need to order a GOOD cleaning rod and bore guide to keep that barrel clean and not do more harm than good when cleaning. I belong to a gun club with rifle range and may join another here that has a 300 range. Maybe we could hook up. I'd almost give you a new scope for that gun for a striper trip like that! Bet you were just off the beach at Kitty Hawk Awsome size average---some school! I have strong opinions about scopes--what is the rifle again?

Steve

i live in fayetteville at the moment, may move to raleigh area in the future God willing, was born and raised in Dunn and did a significant stint in rochester, ny. where we caught the stripers, we went out of oregon inlet, but the school that day was south about 10 miles from Oregon Inlet off Rodanthy (sp?).

the gun is a remington model 700 and i believe its an ADL since it doesnt have the hinged floor plate. currently it has a redfield 3-9X40 and it looks like im looking through a fishbowl. it also has no recoil pad (suggestions?)

as far as the stripers, you may want to hurry and go, the guy that my dad and i go with is...forgot his name, ill find out, but the stripers are getting ready to leave and head back north to taxachusetts. however, u can fish the intracoastal the entire rest of the year along with the alligator river and the pungo for 8-15lbers. Its fun, u fish top water.

sorry to digress from LRH with fishing talk. Again, thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I consider everything carefully.

Here is what I would do I were you: Send the rifle to one of the gunsmiths on this forum and have the factory trigger cleaned up and set at three pounds; have same install recoil pad; send 2.5 x8 or up to 3 x9 3x10 Leupold III, Nikon Monarch, or Zeiss Conquest and Talley mounts and have same install and boresight. While its there, I'd send along a box of Hornady 130's Light Mags and let him shoot it and make sure there is nothing obvious and inexpensive that could be done that would make a dramatic improvement such as recrowning. Lastly, there is a new McMillian stock that weighs about a pound and you could go with a that and have it bedded. I would wait on this unless your groups are larger that one inch with good bench technique When you find out the captain, I'd also like to know the cost, thanks

Steve

270Izzy

You are living within 2-3 hr driving distances of two of the best clubs to start learning lr shooting. You will find some of the best LR shooters in the US at both of those clubs.

just NE or Raleigh off I85 you have Camp Butner where they shoot F class every month. They just had a clinic this weekend on how to shoot and read the wind. go to www.long-range.com/forums and read a little on Fclass. There is a link there to the NC club that shoots at Butner (www.northstateshootingclub.com), just ask under the Fclass forum.

Second you have the NC 1000 yard BR club at N. Wilkesboro. They have a factory class you can shoot in also. If you want to shoot the 270, try the 150 gr bullets. www.nc1000ydshooters.com

The Fclass has a FTR class (308 or 223) and that is where I would suggest you start.

All you need to shoot Fclass is a bipod and scope with target knobs.

Go and watch both before you decide what to do and how. You will find from 3-5 participants at each that are premier smiths and will tell you what you may want to do once you decide.

If you decide to buy a new gun do yourself a favor and go to Vass NC (5 miles north of Southern Pines on Hwy 1 and 30 miles from Fayetteville) to Eds Gunshop. Ed is one of the biggest volume dealers in the US and the cheapest. He normally has used heavy barreled 308s for sale at really good prices.

When you go to Butner, find an old codger named Vernon Harrison (goes by Dot.250 on LR Target shooting forum). He runs a LR shooting course on his farm in S. VA that is premier. He only has 35 yrs as military, and "other" fed agency (3 letter alphabet name that is forbidden to mention) sniper and routinely trains snipers for federal Law Enforcement agencies there. If you decide to get a 308, strongly suggest you listen to him on suggestions for gun and scope.

Good luck

BH

Bounty Hunter,
I pass by the Atlee Elmont exit about twice a year going home to visit the folks in Loundon Co. Do you trade with those folks much or would you recommend this place in Vass over them for customer service and price?

My thoughts exactly.

In additon to those groups is Ft Bragg itself. There will be Special Forces snipers there and a Base Rod and Gun club. I donot know the rules of bringing a civilian gun onto a military installation but one of the moderators on this forum apparently shoots on the Quantico Marine base so I guess it is done. The Special Forces snipers will probably shoot "matches" on Saturday mornings. You will find them to be nice people, just have different values systems than normal people.
I suspect that they are still using National Match M-14's in 308 but don't know. Thy can make a clunky peice of machinering do wonderful things at absurdly long ranges and they don't have to paint their guns pink and blue to get them to shoot.

Lastly go back to the "basics" part of this forum and read the write up on the basics of glass bedding. That is really a good introduction. Brownells Accraglass has been working for nearly fifty years and the intructions are tried and true. It cheap and easy to get.

And really lastly, find a gunshop with a gunsmith and buy all your supplies there. They will charge a little more than Walmart but it all comes with good advice which is more than worth the extra cost. Plus when you need a special part they will get it for you. Quickly, they get to know you and your gun and will go out of their way for you. I went by mine yesterday just for a pound of powder They know every once in a while I will come in and buy my son a gun for $1,000 that I could have saved money on by getting elswhere.

Good luck and tell those stripers to get on up the coast cause I'm getting impatient.

GreenTops at the Atlee exit is about 25% higher than Eds in Vass. VA has high prices on guns. I would say that Fayetteville is the cheapest place in the US to buy a gun especially a used one. Ed sells about 40,000+ guns a year. I have seen him buy 750 of one model pistol on a good deal pricing. Lot of the SF and other guys buy from him because he is such a volume dealer and gives good prices.

Two other good places in Fayetteville, Shooters Pawn on Bragg Blvd (lot of SF and superspook guys hang out there), ask for David, and Carolina Firearms on Bragg Blvd just across from Eutaw shopping center and ask for Daniel or Paul. Shooters will have a lot of reloading items and good used 308s. David at Shooters also has a couple guys (they do that for special ops units)locally that can do the bedding and trigger work you want and reasonable.

Also David can tell you the 3-4 ranges in the area where you can practice LR, at least out to 300-500 and couple out to 1000.

Go to Boulevard Pawn on Bragg Blvd, inside is another little gun shop that specializes in blackpowder, knives and some match guns, owned by Buck Buchanan. He can give you info on the Cross Creek Long Rifles, a shooting club in fayetteville that has range I think that goes to 400-500.

Rod and Gun on Bragg only has 100 yard range.

Good luck

Herman Harke

tell Ed, Paul, Daniel and David I said hello. I stop in there every couple months since I retired and left Bragg area.

you guys have sick knowledge....amazing...everything i wanted to know.

I had a feeling i could go and shoot on Fort Bragg but wasnt sure.

again, thanks so much.

izzy

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.