Most important gear on a hunt

First on every trip, backtracker, or GPS, fire starter, then gear. I have been lost and come out on a road that still didn't help me. In back country roads can go a long ways to no were. Lost is being afraid to move.

I'd say the most important piece of equipment is " YOU".

If you are not mentally and physically able and prepared to do the hunt, you will most likely fail. Show up in Idaho out of shape and hit the Mountains hard for a few days and you body will tell your mind, to hunt near the truck or just road hunt for a few days. Your mind will start making excuses, "too hot" , "too Many Hunters" "too many fires" , "tough winter last year" , etc. Our minds are full of excuses.

I work out all year long so when the season comes, I know I can get up to 9,000 or 10,000 feet and spend the day chasing critters and do it day after day.

I make sure all my gear is good and in proper working order so it won't fail.

Great question and so many good gear ideas and responses. 2nd Clothes / boots 3rd, Weapon, 4th Shelter / Bag / Sustenance .

1. A good quality pack- which in turn is my muster ranch marshall.
Ever had to pack out an elk without a pack frame? Or a deer 4 miles back in on some cliffs by yourself and no pack frame?
I dont recommend it.

2. Clothing and boots
I think both these can go together. I have horrible circulation and get cold easily. Hate being wet, and i hate being cold. Put those two together and it wont be only annoying, could be life threatening.

3. Good quality optic(s)
Can't see what you don't see.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts