How important is the scope height measurment?

This question is in regard to filling out the requirements of ballistic calculators. I am certainly familiar with garbage in garbage out and want to input information as accurately as possible.

I'm working at being competent at 600 yards I would like to stretch it out to 800 yards. If I'm off by 1/8 of an inch or 1/16 of an inch when does it start to matter?

Right now I feel like I'm doing a bit of eyeballing to come up with a measurement. Should I just go buy a caliper?

This question is in regard to filling out the requirements of ballistic calculators. I am certainly familiar with garbage in garbage out and want to input information as accurately as possible.

I'm working at being competent at 600 yards I would like to stretch it out to 800 yards. If I'm off by 1/8 of an inch or 1/16 of an inch when does it start to matter?

Right now I feel like I'm doing a bit of eyeballing to come up with a measurement. Should I just go buy a caliper?
Measure as close as you can plug in that information record your drop chart then change your scope height information and see how much your drop chart changes that should say just how important the measurement is

i just played with my ballistic app and compared between 1 inch and 1.5 inches of scope height. there was a .4 difference in MOA adjustment at 1000 yards. so you're talking about less than 5" difference. so if you're off by a 1/4" in your measurement, impact would be off by less than 2.5".

The height isn't terribly important close enough is good enough on this one. Using a scope level will help your groups much more than obsessing over scope height measurements.

If you're worried about the difference on a canted rail then use whichever end has your reticle. For a first focal plane scope use the bell end and for a second focal plane scope use the eyepiece measurement. Get as close as you have tools to do so and move on to the next variable.

Some take the action out of stock. Use dial caliper not a ruler or tape measure.

1. Measure from bottom of action to top of scope tube. Say 2.750

2. Measure diameter of action 1.330 divide by 2= .665

3. Measure scope tube = 1.00 divide by 2 =.500

4. Add measurements from 2 an 3 .665 +.500 = 1.165

5. Subtract 4 from 1 2.750- 1.165 =1.585 scope height to center of bore

Now play with any ballistic calculator and change that number by 1/4 inch and see the different drops.

Last edited:
It is definitely a more accurate the better situation.but the place that it makes a big difference is shots inside ur zero range to compensate for bore offset

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts