Gear advice

brenttb

I got a 308 remington as a gift and really want to get into long range hunting especially after seeing a buddy drop a deer at 600 yards. I had several questions as to what gear I need to get and any advice would be appreciated. Currently I have a
- remington 700 sps tactical 308 with H&S stock with timney trigger
- leupold mark 4 lr/t scope 6.5-20X

Wondering what brand/grain of ammo I should use? I don't know how to reload...

Wondering what range finder do y'all recommend? Do i need to save up for a G2 or would a leica/vortex/leupold suffice?

How should I do my ballistics through the range finder or through an app or something else?

My goals are to shoot accurately at 600 yards anything over would be better. Able to shoot deer/hogs at 500 yards. Is this even realistic?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance

Well, IMO, you've got a pretty darn good start. You may find that the target turrets on the LR-T scope can get in the way in a hunting environment but that's a minor factor.
If you don't intend to reload I'd recommend starting out with some Federal Premium Vital-Shok 180 grain Nosler Partitions and see how your rifle likes those. If you're satisfied with the results, use a good Chronograph and use the Federal Spec. BC of 0.474 to get you started on developing a dope sheet.
You've got a good rifle and a scope that cost about twice the value of the rifle so I wouldn't skimp on a range finder. The Zeiss Victory PRF or the Leica Rangemaster 1600-B are worth consideration.
Only other thing I might do with your set up is to add a good bipod, bed the action and make sure the barrel is properly free floated.
And .... don't forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6RopWI0-GE

I think trial and error will show you the ammunition you want. A lot of very good factory ammo for the .308. I'd start with the Hornady Superformance 165 SST, but have no issue with others. Be sure to get a hunting bullet.

Leica is a good range finder, but the others mentioned are also.

SHOT show is coming, and there will be a a variety of obsolete equipment in the classifieds. LOL!

I like the harris bi pods in a 6-9" model for prone shooting. Heck I have a Caldwell 6-9" bipod that I have had for 6 or 7 years that has been drug all over the place and Ive never had a problem with it. The best are probably the Atlas bi-pods if your budget allows. Sounds like you have a great rifle to start with. Welcome to the forum and have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts