Rifle advice

cobballer

If you had to buy one rifle for elk and wild boar hunting, what rifle/caliber would it be? Trying to buy a new rifle that'll be good for both.

Last edited:
At what range are you comfortable shooting to? And not trying to be an *** but where do you go to hunt wild boats lol?
I've really only been boar hunting, so most of my shots have been less than 50 yards. I'm set to hunt elk in the fall, so I'm sure that'll be a little longer of a shot.

Personally, for hunting…….nothing less than .30 cal.! If I were planning on doing a good deal of elk hunting…..now, I'm look'n at a .338 WM or one of the "hot rod" .338's"!

You can certainly be successful with less cartridge, but why not carry a slightly better insurance policy! JMO.

My wife uses a .338 WM, for all of her hunting…..from deer/antelope up through big game! That said, the .338 WM is a bit handicapped for true long range hunting/shooting ……but, her personal limit of 500 yards is well within the .338 WM's capabilities! memtb

Last edited:
The biggest cartridge you can shoot well legally. I had a buddy that shot most of his elk with a 308 Win and 165gr Partition. And he was a big guy with a safe full of magnums. 300 yards and less he killed some big elk.

Yep, anything from a 270 through a 300 mag. Get the rifle you want more than the cartridge. I understand snap shooting, moving targets, and multiple shots are common with hogs so some might choose a mag fed handy rifle with a 20 or 22 inch barrel. 308 or 30-06 would be a good choice in a lighter, handier rifle like a tikka.

Seems like the consensus is a 30 cal magnum is ideal for elk. I'd agree with that, though I have no first hand experience hunting elk. 😂🤣. The magnums to either side would be a great option too (I.e. 7 mm or 338). A switch barrel in 6.5PRC/300PRC would be my ideal option - One 20", one 24" barrel.

Ooh, just found this thread! Going down the rabbit hole…