Advice on new rifle

Ryan55555

OK - I am ready to purchase a new rifle. I plan to use this for hunting elk and maybe someday a moose when I draw a tag. I have been using a Browing A-Bolt 270 win for the past 10 years, I absolutely love shooting it. I have been handloading for the past 5-6 years and have learned some of the techniques/tricks that have helped me really dial in my 270. I have installed a Boyds thumbhole stock, fit, finished and glass bedded it myself, installed a lighter spring for the trigger so I have some basic knowledge about this rifle stuff. I have taken several elk with this gun and I feel confident shooting it but I want a new toy to work with and see if I can extend my range a bit.

Last saturday I went and shot the Spirit Ridge Rifle Golf Course and had a blast, this long range stuff can be addicting. I did not do as well as I thought I would but it was windy and I was shooting my 204 which did great at the close target but not to good at the long ones.

I am leaning toward buying a Remington Sendero II in 300 RUM. I have a Remington VSSF II in a 204 so two of my guns would be very similar in weight, feel, trigger, etc. Probably on the extreme opposite for recoil. I would have a DE brake installed to reduce the recoil. I am thinking of putting a Zeiss Conquest scope on it, most likely a 4.5-14 but maybe a 6.5-20.

Now for a few of my questions:

1) Caliber - I am almost set on the 300 RUM but some buddies have some 7mm and they shoot rather well with them. Any comments are welcome.

2) How good is the H.S. Precision stock that is on the Sendero's? Does bedding improve it?

3) Is having the action trued and bolt faced money well spent for this gun?

4) Bullet - I have had some success (on paper, not yet on animals) with Bergers in my 270. Is the 210g a good choice?

5) What is the approximate COAL to make these shoot well? Will it fit in the factory magazine?

6) Scopes - Zeiss Conquest - I have one on my 204 and love it. Can't afford a NF yet. Any other good options?

7) What is the best brass? Remington? Nosler?

Any information or suggestions would be great, I really enjoy all of the reading on this site.

Thanks,

Ryan55555

The 300RUM would be a good choice, as would be the Sendero. I'd probably make sure the barrel shot well before I spent the money on the brake though. If on the off chance it didn't, you could just have Shawn screw a great barrel on when he did the brake. As far as recoil at first, I like to use a bag of lead shot between the rifle and my shoulder if I'm just testing a heavy kickers ability to shoot.

AJ

1) Caliber - I am almost set on the 300 RUM but some buddies have some 7mm and they shoot rather well with them. Any comments are welcome.

Thats a good choice but the 7mm rum will do what you want to mas well

2) How good is the H.S. Precision stock that is on the Sendero's? Does
bedding improve it?

They are great stocks and skim bedding one may make it shoot a little better

3) Is having the action trued and bolt faced money well spent for this gun?

If you get the Sendero I would say NO not until you shoot out the barrel have the action trued when you have the barrel changed. On the other hand if you are going to have a break installed the smith is going to have to pull the barrel anyhow you might as well spend the money and get it done then.

4) Bullet - I have had some success (on paper, not yet on animals) with Bergers in my 270. Is the 210g a good choice?

It is the best choice for me I love the BERGER you will be fine with the 210 if your gun likes them

5) What is the approximate COAL to make these shoot well? Will it fit in the factory magazine?

It is going to depend on you rifle there is no way to say what works for one rifle does not allways work for the other.

6) Scopes - Zeiss Conquest - I have one on my 204 and love it. Can't afford a NF yet. Any other good options?

I would get a leupold I cant afford a NF either

7) What is the best brass? Remington? Nosler?

Nosler

Hi Ryan,
The 300 RUM is an excellent choice. It's good out to a approx. 1300 yards for deer or elk with a velocity of bewteen 3000 fps and 3100 fps and a 210 Berger should carry approx. 1400 ft/lbs of energy at 1000 yards, plenty for either animal.
The factory HS Precision stock is a good stock but a skin coat of bedding and 100% free float would be a good idea.
You can't "true" the action unless you remove the barrel and single point re-cut the receiver face, locking lugs and threads. The bolt face and rear of bolt locking lugs would need done also. This will change your headspace and the barrel will then have to be set back to match. It's worth it if your going to put a new barrel on, but I would just have a re-crown, and the lugs lapped along with the bedding and the trigger either adjusted or a new after market rifle basix or jewel installed.
Your oal would be close to fitting in magaizine, but it depends on how far out the throat is. Worst case get a wyatts extended magazine and your problems will be solved.
There are several good scopes on the market today. I like Leupold and Sightron. Zeiss is great also if price isn't a factor. Nightforce is an excellent scope but most of use can't afford one either.
If I had to choose between Nosler and Remington brass I would go with Nosler. It's more expensive but worth it in the long run for how many more firings you'll get.
Get the brake installed, you don't have to remove the barrel to do this and if for some unknown reason the barrel won't shoot you can always re-use it on the next barrel if you get a similiar muzzle diameter. After the first shot without it you'll wish you you had ono on.

ryan5s, between myself and my friends we have a lot of senderos. they all shoot great. i would get a 7mm rem or 300 win because the rums you can't seat to the rifling. the throat is too long and the mag too short. however ,ofthe 20 or so senderos we have the one that has shot best so far is a 300 rum . i would get a leupold. my buddy says the conquest is as good or better. and you can get a mil dot reticle in the zeiss. i had a nf( not an nxs a br) it was not as clear as a leupold to my eye. roninflag

How big of an issue is the free bore in the RUM's?

If I plan to shoot the 210 bergers is it necessary to get the bullet touching the lands?

Is it even possible on the Sendero RUM's to get the bullet to the lands?

What if I extend the magazine, is it then possible?

I have a Rem VSSF in a .204 and I cannot even come close to seating the bullet to the lands, however it shoots lights out with all of that jump. I know that RUM and 204 are not even close to the same and I should not even compare them.

Ryan

ryan5s; i don't have a 300 rum. but my brother and two others have one. my brother loads for all three. he only shot a few 210 bergers. they did not shoot good in his. they all three are shooting re-25 and 180 accu bond. well off the lands. one of the three shoots groups as good or better than all the 15 or more senderos we have. the rum is too much of a good thing for me: 96 grains of powder versus 72 in my 300 win

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.