Need advice

Cody Nielsen

Hello everyone and just want to say first of all thank you for your help and advice.. so I have finally decided to jump on the AR wagon. I am doing some research and getting ready to build an AR for coyote hunting. The rifle will be in 243 win. I plan to reload for it and am hoping to be in the 80-100 grain projectile range. Wish list includes lighter the better, very accurate, excellent trigger, 20 inch threaded barrel adjustable stock, oh ya and I am American so I want all of this for nothing.. haha. Also while I have your attention wanting to put a compact 30mm tube with some type of graduated reticle, illuminated, no turrets. Again I understand all this might be fairytale stuff but seeing what is out there close to perfect world.. thanks again

Sounds like you already know what you want. Wont f ou nd it assembled. Order the individual parts and assemble it yourself. It will be on the ar10 platform so it wont meet two of your criteria (expense and weight (but those are relative terms lol)). Good luck and have fun with it! Btw, my ar15 is similar to what your looking for and is 10 lbs.

I have done it both ways and the AR15 is the one I still own. My White Oaks heavy .223 Wilde is the rifle I kept. My AR10 in .260 Remington didn't make the cut. Great rifle, very accurate, but heavy as can be and not as pleasant to carry.

I had Aero M5 receiver set, Wilson Combat 20" barrel, Aero hand guard, BCG, Seekins stock and Rise Armament trigger. Without scope it was a solid 9#, maybe a bit more and all told I had close too $2,000 in the build with scope mount, but no glass.

If I were going to build a long range coyote rifle on the AR platform I would use the smaller AR15 and look at .22 Nosler or 6mm ARC. To me it is a much more nimble platform and with the ARC it can do double duty on deer. Whitetail anyway, maybe not so much on big mule deer.

Whichever way you decide to go, I really like Aero Precision's parts… they have great products and prices are always in line and they offer sales all the time. Look at the LaRue MBT triggers you wont be disappointed… my .02c

Whichever way you decide to go, I really like Aero Precision's parts… they have great products and prices are always in line and they offer sales all the time. Look at the LaRue MBT triggers you wont be disappointed… my .02c
Completely forgot about the Larue trigger. I'm a single stage guy, but I believe the Larue 2 stage feels better to me. I have on in my .300 Blackout. Very well priced too!

AR Gold trigger is the best I have tried, and I have tried a bunch of them. The LaRue mentioned above is the best value out there in triggers in my opinion, and plenty good enough for most. I too like the Aero parts, but I would probably do PSA for the lower and handguard (to be able to afford the AR Gold trigger LOL). Stock, handguard and barrel are the only easy places to save/shave weight. Look at Meopta for the illuminated 1-4/6/8x scopes, exceptional optical clarity and good functional reticle. They used to to be THE scope in 3-gun and take a beating well.

I could give you all kinds of advice, but I will try to limit it some…

First, look at 6mm Creedmoor. It is everything the 243 wants to be in the larger bullets.

Also, look into White Oak Armament or Compass Lake for your barrel. They know how to make AR accuracy.

There are good basic triggers like the Larue and Rise Armament. Both will make you happy compared to a stock AR. Better than those, you need to be looking at the Triggertech Diamond. You might be happy with a Geissele if you like 2 stage.

Also, I find the Magpul PRS a nice, but heavy buttstock.

Look at the SWFA SS 3-9 or 3-15 for food quality basic scopes. I really like mine.