Need Advice

arrowthrower

I am going to be working on my first truly long range gun. I have a Remington 700 300 Win Mag that I would use for the base. I already have a decent scope Leupold VX III 6x20 that I will use to help cut costs since I dont have a lot of extra cash. What would you guys do if you had this setup and what to add on like Stock, Barrel, trigger etc? Thanks

Welcome to LRH. You can generally have the factory trigger tuned to a good weight and pull. That would be the economical way allowing you to sink money into a stock or barrel. I would suggest a 26-28" barrel in a 1:10 twist. This length and twist rate will help maximize performance for powder burn and heavier bullets. Plan on using 210 grain and up weight bullets. Berger's new 215 and 230 will really boost the performance of the 300WM. The stock is up to you. You can pay as little as you want or as much as you want. Here are some great options:

Manners Remington 700 MCS T (Monte Carlo Style) ADL BDL CDL SPS VTR XCR XHR

Manners Remington 700 MCS T2A (ADJUSTABLE / Vertical Grip) ADL BDL CDL SPS VTR XCR XHR

Manners Remington 700 MCS T5A (ADJUSTABLE / Thumbhole / Hook / Beavertail) ADL BDL CDL SPS VTR XCR XHR

H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000 Sporter Thumbhole Stocks - Remington 700 BDL Long & Short Action - NEW!

H-S Precision Pro-Series M24 Vertical Grip Tactical Remington 700 Winchester 70 Stocks - Adjustable LOP & Cheek PST 025 26 38 52 54 (RH and LH Available)

H-S Precision Pro-Series M24 Vertical Grip Varmint Tactical Remington 700 Winchester 70 Stocks - Fixed PST 035 036 053 055

*Special Purchase Pricing on Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A2 Style Remington 700 SPS BDL Savage 10/12 Weatherby Vanguard Howa 1500 Vertical Grip 2092, 2096, 2997, 2998 & 2999 I own this one. It is a very nice stock.

Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable - Remington 700 BDL (SPS, XCR, VTR) & Weatherby Mk V - #2094, 2098, 6629

*NEW! Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist M40 Style Series 1000 Long Range Remington 700 Short Action & 1001 Long Action Stock

As far as manufacturers of barrels, I have only bought one, and it is a Lothar Walther. I have been very pleased with its performance thus far. I highly recommend them. But there are others. Some swear by 5R rifling. You can get those from Brux, Broughton, and few others. Make sure you look into a good competition recoil lug. May want to get the action trued up, but isn't necessary if the rifle shoots well. You should be able to modify your rifle for less than $1000. I would suggest a good one piece base and sturdy rings.

Tank

As tank said it can be done cheaper but you should wait and get it perfect the first time. I'm a savage fan but with remingtons I like having the action trued first off, then I am a fan of the helical fluted PTG bolt assemblies with the speedlock, jewell triggers are about the best you can get, then a nice cut rifled barrel ( Brux or Krieger ) or Lilja. If you stay 300wm 26" minimum, prefferably 28" with a muzzle break to spot your shots. As for stocks the Manners and McMillans are very nice but I prefer the Bell and Carlson A2 for half the money. It sounds pricey but give Kevin Cram of Montour county rifles a call he will get you exactly what you need, you just tell him your plans.

arrow my factory 300 wm sendero shot a 15 shot group you could cover witha sheet of notebook paper. 1000 yards. my 7 witha krieger barrel shoots even better. both have 6.5-20 leup on them. adjust the trigger add a muzzle break.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.