Need some advice....

Are the stocks on the rifles the same? Did you try shooting the way your used to again after. Could have been a fitment issue (cheek weld) with the one rifle. Do you us a rear bag type setup for stability, and is this the first time you have shot with a bipod? Could something have been touching your barrel? Either the stock or bipod/sling swivel it mounts to.
Thinking exactly the same...I m thinking swivel, pushed the barrel up...It happened to me once! About the same results

All great advise above for sure. I think it could simply be body position or bipod preload. Could be both. I would repeat the test again and focus on dry firing that should show the reticle moving toward the impact shift. I have no experience with Atlas bipods but I run Harris S series and they are sensitive to preloading when I encounter different terrain. I have found with the Harris bipods if I put a small slick piece of cardboard under the bipod feet I do not have to preload at all and my POI usually stays the same from bench to prone as long as I use the same rear support. The cardboard simply allows the bipod feet to slide smoothly and creates free recoil management. It may be worth a try. best of luck, Jason

We found that, Bi-Pods affect POI, due to,. Forend,.. MOVEMENT ( Stress on the gun & stock from, preloading ) in, the Prone position.
Unless, you have, a very STIFF / solid, Forend and barrel with, lots of, "Free float" you are, stuck with,.. IT ! IMO
And WHY, the successful LONG Range shooters seem to build, heavy 10 Pound PLUS, Rifles. ( I glass Bed, the Barrel Channels to "Stiffen" my Varmint Rifles forends,.. IF, wanting to use,.. a Bi Pod !
We shoot over, a FILLED Pack with, a Toe Rest for, the longer shots and use Sticks, in Sitting position, with pack on chest to support the Rifles "Toe" to 400 Yards ( on Light, sub 8 pound, Mountain Rifles ). We couldn't stand, the Forend Flexing and the POI "shifting", chit,.. either !

Last edited:
Does anyone think attaching the rifle to a tripod (using a ball head and small 3" arca rail) will do the same thing? It's attached more at the middle of the stock's bottom, and would be just forward of the recoil lug...
Only way to know it shoot and see, I guess. Thanks for all the input.

or even worse, like me, if you can't extend your neck enough for prone at all what can you do? Is there a 30 degree mat option?

You could try and put your pack under your chest and use legs extended on your bipod. Not as stable/low to the ground but may give you some comfort.

My neck hurts when I am in the prone anymore. Must have been all the banging to Metallica.

I generally never see much change (within shooters skill) assuming everything is set up well. The alignment can be an issue as many people will have an almost 2" lop difference prone to seated/standing. Other than that is is possible that forend could flex if stock/chassis is not stiff enough or there is very little clearance. Check all torque on bolts and check if the condition persists between positions…if so it would likely be stock forend. I generally prefer chassis that have quick lop and buttpad height adjustments as that will help ensuring good fundamentals in position between standing, seated, and prone (prone being the most different in buttstock setup for most)

What kind of stock? Is it free floated? If it is free floated can you still slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock with the bipod loaded a bit?

I know some stocks are a little soft and floppy to use a bipod with.

Also just for fun take a good look at your crown. I know I've had lots of accuracy problems with rifles that ended up being a muzzle that got roughed up in the truck, or in the field.

I would do like others have said and try shooting it a few different ways with and without the bipod to see if the bipod is in fact the problem.