Most accurate powder for 175g ELD-X in 7mm Rem Mag? Temp stability valued over speed.

cdherman

Note that I am less interested in speed (but that's never a bad thing!). I have a 26' proof carbon barrel on my Savage LA. Shoots the 195 Berger EOLs decent with H1000, low ES, but velocity is not good enough and just average accuracy around 1 MOA -- much better some days. Could be the nut behind the trigger...... Most loads are quite acceptable, hardly any over 1" at 100 yards, even between nodes. But that's not 1000 yard ANIMAL accuracy, so have decided to re-examine my options. A faster bullet is better at shorter ranges. I am not going to use the 195 EOL in a meaningful way, I think, because I am just not good enough as a shooter for those longer ranges on live game. To take them ethically at least..

I have decided to blow things up and try a different bullet. I have in decent quantities in no particular order 1) Ramshot Magnum 2) Norma MRP 3)H-1000 4)H4831 SC 5) RL-26 6) N570 7)StaBALL HD (unopened jug) 8) Retumbo (3 lbs only). More of the other stuff.

So I have pretty much all the usual suspects except rl-33. Have given up on that one being available.

I am sure that someone will suggest RL-26. But its not as temp stable as the H4831, H1000 or Retumbo I have read. Accuracy and temp stability are key. I have also H4350 and a host of other faster stuff, but with the relatively heavy 175, I am not wanting to try them.

There are a ton of threads about the "best powder for 7 Rem Mag". I hope I have made my situation clear, but at the same time, I don't mind a little discussion.

Thanks in advance.....

My first custom is a 7 rem mag. Blueprinted Remington action 1 in 8 twist 26" bartlein in 3b. It didn't like h1k, retumbo, or Berger 195's (which is what I built it to shoot go figure) It likes faster powders run right at max pressure, Viht. N165 and one of the discontinued endurons. Really likes 160 grain bullets but shoots 175/180 class ok. 7 rem mags can be finicky in my experience, don't be afraid to try different powders.

My first custom is a 7 rem mag. Blueprinted Remington action 1 in 8 twist 26" bartlein in 3b. It didn't like h1k, retumbo, or Berger 195's (which is what I built it to shoot go figure) It likes faster powders run right at max pressure, Viht. N165 and one of the discontinued endurons. Really likes 160 grain bullets but shoots 175/180 class ok. 7 rem mags can be finicky in my experience, don't be afraid to try different powders.
N165 is my personal favorite currently.

If you are looking at temp stable I think the H powders are the most stable and according to the hornady book retumbo gives you the most speed. I think 26 is supposed to be stable except at high Temps. Not on your list is n565 which is also supposed to be stable.

I think I shall try the Retumbo. Only problem is that my buddy shoots a 338 RUM that likes the Retumbo as well and the supply is limited. I do the reloading for us. Powder Valley has more for $50 a lb, but no jugs. I don't buy powder in small lots anymore. Life is too short.

But by the time I burn up the Retumbo I have, perhaps things will be different.....

I think I shall try the Retumbo. Only problem is that my buddy shoots a 338 RUM that likes the Retumbo as well and the supply is limited. I do the reloading for us. Powder Valley has more for $50 a lb, but no jugs. I don't buy powder in small lots anymore. Life is too short.

But by the time I burn up the Retumbo I have, perhaps things will be different.....
Typically if you buy several small bottle together it has a better chance to be the same lot. It not mix it all together and make your own lot. Just a thought.

Typically if you buy several small bottle together it has a better chance to be the same lot. It not mix it all together and make your own lot. Just a thought.
totally agree. I "bucket" paint all the time. Make sure the lots are smoothed out. Did that with my buddies 6.5 CM years ago when H 4350 was so hard to come by..

But my stash is large and my years are fewer, and tolerance for "re-labeled" lots of powder less. If I needed to get rid of some propellant (0r my heirs) how does that play out with mixed bottles etc.....

From the list of powder you have.
I would try H-4831, I have been getting great results with N-560.
It's hard to beat 4831.
Hope this helps. 👍

i load for three 7mms. h4831, h1000, and retumbo have all worked well with 180 hybrids

If i'm using retumbo it's for max velocity so the load is going to be close to pressure.
H1000 and h4831 are perfect for the 2900 -2975 range in my rifles.

A friend who actually is on this board has gotten his best velocity and accuracy from RL 26 shooting 180 eldm's. From a 28" barrel he's in the neighborhood of 3100fps IIRC. 1 hole accuracy and gets 1240 rounds through a barrel before it's shot out as he has recorded every shot ever taken and is on his 5th barrel now.
it wouldn't be my first choice but it worked well for him. I'd be in the h1000, Retumbo, H4831 group. Retumbo which I've never used is reputed as being very accurate. I don't like powders that produce a high barrel heat. That's one reason I have shied away from Imr 8208 for 6.5 Grende. That plus AR Comp just works better for me.

Last edited: