175grain eld-x/7mm rem mag/ powder choices

US869 has been treating me right. It takes a lot of weight but the powder is silly cheap and meters like water.

I'm loading pretty long, ~.2" (don't have my notes handy to be exact) over SAAMI and my loads are over book but have no pressure signs in my guns so definitely start lower and work up.

3040fps with ELD-M 162's at 81 grains (this has plenty more room in it for more FPS but it groups well so I haven't heated it up)
2940fps with Berger 180's at 81 grains (this is a max load in my gun, primers get flat but no cratering, easy extract)

I don't see a lot of others using US869. Probably because it's pretty temp sensitive and old. I like it for price:performance. YMMV.

I can't find any load data for this bullet other than the 162 gr hornady has on their site. What is the max velocity I can expect to get with this bullet? What powder is going to get me the fastest velocity out of my 7mm rem mag with a 26" barrel? And I know the fastest velocity might not be the best grouping, but who doesn't want their magnum to be over 3000 fps if that is possible with this bullet. So far I have only tried H4831sc 59.0 grains, shot .5 moa no pressure signs but I don't know the velocity as I have no chrono. Thanks for any help given.

Run the h4831sc with the 175. Run speed to 2925 FPS. 1/2 moa
at 500 yards
Run 25 ths off lands. Crimp heavy
Watch pressure signs and such because you will be going over book lawyer data.

Barrel is 1:9 benchmark that's 26 inch
Very deadly.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts