Powder Choices for 7mm STW

Dano1

Hey guys,

I'm looking at loading the 180g Berger VLD out of my 7STW and Looking at powder Choices for this cartridge bullet combo I've come up with a short list of powders I'm considering.

Retumbo
US869
H1000
IMR7828SC
RL 25

I'd like to hear your opinions, experiences and pros and cons.... If I missed a good powder please suggest it.

I like the data I've seen with US869. So Far it shows the best velocity. I am of course concerned with Accuracy first Velocity second, But if I can have both it would be better. I haven't done any test loading yet I prefer to do it in summer time when ambient temperatures are higher. Makes for safer hunting ammo. So I'm open to suggestions. I always have Retumbo on hand and I've got a pound of US869. I've shot one group so far with US869 and it shot just under an inch, but it was just a light load.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Dan

Dano, when I first read your thread opener, I thought you might have been looking for 140 or 150 grain loads. ( I have a lot of those) I have not experimented as of yet with the 180's, and I am assuming you are talking about Bergers. I would think that the best of the best would be the h1000, and Retumbo. Also I would look into Vihtavouri N170. I have shot the 168's with H1000' and they shoot awesome. Retumbo is even slower than 1000' so it's probably your better option.I have had the tickle to try these beauties myself, because Berger has a 180 hybrid that I am told shoot like a house on fire. I am not sure if they are avail. In a hunting bullet. They might be match grade only. Letme know how you make out. I am curios also! AIM SMALL, MISS SMALLlightbulbgun) 7 STW

Yes, I'm wanting to shoot the 180g VLDs. I've looked at the 180g Hybrids and they are only available as a match bullet option.

I'm also leaning toward retumbo as well due to it's temperature insensitivity, but I wanted to try US869 due to it's higher velocity potential. I'm definately going to try both.

I've never used Vihtvori powders But I may use it if I don't get the accuracy from the others.

My rifle has a 27" 1-9 twist bbl, so naturally I wanted to shoot the heaviest bullets I could find.

After I bouight the rifle, I loaded a generic load using 165g sierras and IMR7828 and it shot under 1". I'm really excited to try it with the heavys and see what it can do at long range.

It needs a new stock and a better scope then I think I'll be able to wring out some really good accuracy. See Photos below. It's a Diamond in the rough.

Dan

Dans guns II 002.jpg

Dans guns II 007.jpg

Dans guns II 005.jpg

Nice looking rig ! Just as a side note, I shot my STW today. I loadd some 168's with N170. the burn rate is between rl25and Retumbo. So I took a middle of the road approach and loaded 3 rounds. Shot them at 200 yes and 2 touching, and the third was inside a half inch. Did not chrony this load, as I left it home today. It seemed quick, and muzzle blast was present but about normal. Will revisit this load. Just wanted to pass that onto you as brother of the STW hood! Take care , 7stwlightbulblightbulb

P/S, what year is that Remington, late seventies?

Thanks, It is a nice rig. I got lucky and found it in a gun shop this fall. It hadn't been shot in years. It had that wonderful dryed solvent patina that you get when oli and solvents evaporate. I would also venture to guess it hasn't seen more than 100 rounds through this bbl by the condition of the throat and bore.

I wish I knew who the gunsmith was because it was done correctly. It's been fully accurized. the trigger is really good and the lugs have 100 % contact.

It's either a 1962 or 1963 action. the back half of the action has the cut out on top like the old Remington 721s. It also has a 5 digit all numerical serial number. The bluing is perfect. It's in it's origional stock but it's been bedded, floated and pillars installed. I'm going to replace it with a Bell and Carlison tactical medalist stock when I can scrape a little money together. The origional stock seems to turn in my hand and doesn't sit on sandbags at all. It just doesn't feel right with that long barrel.

I may have to try that N170. If you're getting that kind of accuracy.... OH Boy!

I may try the 168s if I can't get the 180s to shoot, but I'm thinking that it won't be a problem. It cant be as pickey as my 6.5-06 AI.....

thanks for the encouragement!!!!!

Dan

Dano,
Nice looking stick. Never owned or reloaded for a 7STW but I have owned various 7mmRM's and a couple of .300WinMags. I always heard and read that H1000 was a good powder in these two but never got around to trying it until 2011.
Tried it in my .300WinMag with the 190gn SMK's and CCI250's - wow! - best group out of the rifle since I bought it. It was a 3 shot group; velocity average was 3078fps, ES 7.83, SD 4.12, and groups was .142". I tried the same load with Berger 185gn VLD Hunting bullet and it's that accurate also.
I've have good accuracy/velocity with RL25 but not this accurate. May be just be my rifle. JohnnyK.

Thanks Johnny,

Thats encouraging about h1000. I have never had a reason to try it until now. I'll definately be picking up some to try. Those are some good groups and velocity is great!

It would be a good powder for a 150-168g load...I'm thinking it isn't slow enough for the 180s though. I'll be trying it to see what happens.

Dan

Hi Dano,
I'm using 81.5gr's of Vihtavuori N570, 160gr Accubond & WLRM primers at 3.65"oal. I did all of my work up at 250M's and my average grouping is 1.75". I'm averaging 3100fps with this load. I've had it up to 3300fps but thats MAX+. I'm shooting a Ruger #1B ss 26" barrel rifle. I'm happy with this powder but I'm not sure of it's temp sensitivity. It gave me better accuracy and velocity than Retumbo. The other two powders I'm interested in is RL-25 & H 1000. My hunting buddy uses 180gr Berger VLD's in his 7mm RUM with ? 91.0gr's of Retumbo and that works real well for him. I think he was getting 2950fps +/-. But as far as I'm concerned I'll stick with VVN 570 for 160gr and heavier bullets to start with anyway in the 7mm STW.:)

Dano, I just shot the 180 Berger Hyb this am in my STW using 76 grains of Retumbo. Grouped about 5/8" 4 shots. I plan to work more with this load. My STW has been very stubborn with load development. I still have not found a load I like yet, but I am still trying. My 7 WSM loves H-1000 with 180 Berger VLD's and 168 VLD's with H-4831 sc.

dchamp & Capt Academy,

So far I've tried Retumbo, H1000, and US-869 with the 180g Berger VLDs. And The US-869 was definately not the way to go. It's too Slow and I got no accuracy what so ever out of it. H-1000 Was ok, Groups about 1" at 100yds, But Retumbo actually won the accuracy contest.

IMG_20120423_201813.jpg

The 2 Flyers were my doing, When I had shot this group, I had been shooting for several hours and Shooter fatigue was setting in..... Still a good 3 shot group.

This was with 79g of Retumbo and velocity is 2989fps 10 shot average.

The rifle also has had a face lift, I found a used H-S precision stock and It definately looks better, and shoots better as well.

IMG_20120604_101739.jpg

I would try the Vhitvori Powders, but the local source for it has dried up.... I'll start messing with the bullet seating depth from here on.

I'm planning on a 150-168g Class load for this rifle as a secondary close hunting load, and I'm leaning toward H-1000 as the powder of choice.

I appreciate your imput.

Later guys,

Dan

the load ive settled one with mine uses 7828sc. It might now be slow enough to give the absolute best top end velocitys but its sure accurate.

My current reload is made by 71.6gr VV N165, 180 gr Berger VLD and a Fed 215 primer. COL 3,94" (10.0mm)
This load have a 3 shot average speed of 3009 f/sec.

Accuracy at 100 meters: 3 shot @12mm (0.5"). 3 shot at 400 meters 68mm (2.67")

I bought two boxes of VV N170 some time ago, but my reload with N165 is so good I have not experimented with any other power this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.