MORE SPECIFICS on 6.5x284 and different powders

Derek M.

When I built my 6.5x284 it was because of the articles I read online primarily, then I see the guys shooting them from BOTW and Gunwerks, and also I read about them on the forums. So I had to have one.

Got about 200 cases of Norma brass from a forum member for cheap. Then bought another 200 Lapua on sale a few years ago. I have no shortage of 215M and 210M primers. I can get most any powder locally.

What I've narrowed it down to is that the TV guys started with Retumbo, then it seems they moved to H1000. (all of this is with the 140 VLD BTW). But competition shooters prefer H4350 and H4831SC.

Then I spoke with a very knowledgeable man who tested Ramshot Magnum, finding it to be as good if not better than any of the Extreme powders in velocity and temp stability. And again, I see guys using a different powder, the Hybrid 100V.

So, is there a "go-to" powder for the most part that I can start with much like a go-to with a 308 is Varget or IMR4064?

My Bartlein bbl is 24". I didn't want it any longer so I'm not looking to go pop an elk at 900 yards. I have other rifles I'll take elk hunting. I would prefer accuracy first, velocity second. Should I not reinvent the wheel and stick with the 4350 and 4831SC first?

No need to reinvent the wheel. If it won't shoot H 4350 or 4831sc it wont shoot.

Well that's what I was wondering. Makes me wonder why BOTW guys didn't use these 2 proven powders. Were they just going for velocity? Or, did they or anyone else do some tests where Retumbo was just so consistent that it could not be bested?

H 1000 gave me about 100fps more velocity but my SD on velocity was not near as good as H 4350. Retumbo just did not group near as well in my gun as any of the others. Keep in mind everything I tried shot good. I may be splitting hairs but a .6 group compared to a .3 group is 50% better by my math.

So, is there a "go-to" powder for the most part that I can start with much like a go-to with a 308 is Varget or IMR4064?

My Bartlein bbl is 24". I didn't want it any longer so I'm not looking to go pop an elk at 900 yards. I have other rifles I'll take elk hunting. I would prefer accuracy first, velocity second. Should I not reinvent the wheel and stick with the 4350 and 4831SC first?

As with any cartridge, there are many ways to skin the cat as to powder selection. I am a real fan of the 6.5x284 and have several buddies that are as well, both target as well as hunting enthusiasts. For target/competition many go with H4831sc. With the longer barrels used for target shooting, you can hit the sweet spot of 2950-3050FPS. This powder is very accurate, has an optimum burn rate for the cartridge, meters well, has great lot to lot consistency, and is capable of extremely tight ES. It is inherently a lower velocity powder compared to Retumbo, and other slow burning powders.

For hunting I would go with Retumbo. It will deliver the same sweet spot in velocity with a 24-26" barrel,and, if throated properly with a 1:8 twist, should deliver excellent accuracy. It is very temperature stable. Similar to a previous comment, if it doesns't shoot with this powder its possible something else is going on. The only watch out with Retumbo is that you may have to adjust charge weight when changing lots to keep the identical velocity. I have seen this with several powders, including Varget, but have not seen it with H4831sc. IMHO.

Well I'm going to the gun store today to buy more Retumbo then. I have 2 pounds on hand. I'll buy another 2 pounds and mix them all to create "one" lot.

I have 8 pounds of H4831SC on hand and about 5 pounds of H1000.

I'll try Retumbo first with a 215M primer. If I'm unsatisfied with that, I'm moving to H4831SC, then H1000, then H4350.

Hopefully it won't come to that!

I am in the process of exploring Ramshot Magnum in my 6.5x284. Book max states 62 grains with the 140 grain bullets. In virgin Lapua brass I started a batch at 60 grains and seated .030" off the rifling. Forgot the chronograph as we were so excited to get this new rig out. It was in a butchered up sps stock and the trigger was over 5 pounds. 3 groups average under MOA for 5 shots but was left with extractor marks on all 10. Once it's bedded up proper and has the jewel trigger in place I will do a proper ladder test. My data will probably not do much for anyone as this barrel finished at 30.25". Will post photos and specs in a couple weeks.

Derek,

Keep us posted. I am in the exact same boat as you are. Mine will finish to 27". Like you, I am looking for a hunting length rifle but would also like to maximize my velocity potential. We want our cake and to be able to eat it as well right? Right!

That's right. I'll create a thread when the time comes

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.