Different jugs of powder, different velocities

magedon44

Have any of you seen a velocity difference in one jug of powder compared to another . Today I was shooting a mixed batch of shells some from one jug some from another. One group was an inch at 300 yards dead center another group was one inch but 4 inches low. The gun was obviously shooting sub Moa but my groups confused me and all I could this was that it was the powder? Btwn each shot I waited 5 mins and was very careful of my form and level..: any ideas??

I am not sure what type of powder you used, but some powders vary greatly between lots. When a company makes a big batch of powder it is hard for them to make the next huge batch EXACTLY the same way. I think powders like Reloader 22 can have a big change between jugs. I try to buy 8 pounders or maybe 2 with the same lot number if I can find them. I adjust my load every time I open a new jug with a different lot number.

Some powders have a plus3 to minus5 allowance per batch. So you can see if you get on the opposite ends you could have quite a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.