more accurate past 200 then 100 yards

Interesting shooting today
I have a newly acquired Savage 12 BVSS, Stainless 26 inch barrel, I glass bed it and reset head space added a Heavy recoil lug.
Shooting was only with American eagle OTM 168 grain match ammo
According to Savage website the rifle has a 1/12 twist so I knew the 168 would shoot great but just ok, need some 175 soon anyhow, groups at 100 were about 1.5, but at 250 I was grouping 3 shots at .5 not moa but .5 inch group? Odd that the 1/12 did not stabilize the 168 until 250 and farther, subsequently at 400 groups were near 1 inch.

I have sen this too, over and over again. I feel 100 yards groups are a waste of ammo unless there is something specific to 100 yards you wish to test. I woulder how many great .5 moa loads have been scraped because they were only tested at 100 yards.

You might have already seen this if not you might find it interesting.

Jeff gun)gun)

YouTube - Pitch, Yaw and bullet path

I also have seen this before, but I also never used a 1/12 twist?
I was able to hit the eye area on the steel silhouette at 400 yards shot after shot

You more than likely are, but are you adjusting the parallax between 100 and 200 and beyond?

Have seen this myself, more frequently than I would have imagined actually. When I was first starting off reloading... it really threw me for a loop. Since I mainly like shooting distance, I do all my load development and testing at 300yds. Far enough to get a real picture of what's going on, yet close enough that wind doesn't mess me up too bad.

I see this quite often especially with BERGER VLD, seems that the bullets start to "lay down" at 200 and, (in .300RUM) just "go to sleep" at 300 yds. and beyond.

I don't see how those results could be repeatable. For groups to measure a smaller diameter consistently at a longer distance would mean that the bullets were changing direction in flight. I understand that some long bullets take a couple hundred yards to fully stabilize and that group size can essentially be the same at 300 yards as at 100 yards but for them to actually be smaller (not talking moa but actual measurement in inches which I believe is what the original poster is referring to) in a repeatable fashion is physically impossible. Not trying to stir the pot but just trying to justify it with the laws of physics.

I don't see how those results could be repeatable. For groups to measure a smaller diameter consistently at a longer distance would mean that the bullets were changing direction in flight. I understand that some long bullets take a couple hundred yards to fully stabilize and that group size can essentially be the same at 300 yards as at 100 yards but for them to actually be smaller (not talking moa but actual measurement in inches which I believe is what the original poster is referring to) in a repeatable fashion is physically impossible. Not trying to stir the pot but just trying to justify it with the laws of physics.

I missed the inch vs moa originally. I would have to agree with you on this one....Rich

Well, I'm not a ballistics expert, nor am I a physics professor... but I do shoot about 5000-10,000 rnds of 308 every year. I was forced to do all my load development at 300yds, as when I worked the load up at 100, it produced less accuracy at longer range.

I can't explain it, and don't care to. All I know is that I see the difference, and quite a few folks, most more talented than I have proven it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.