Monting help please.

Caleb517

So I finally ordered me a new gun a remington 700 5r 24" barrel in .308. But iam wanting to know what the best scope mounts would be and what size I would need to mount a vortex viper pst 6x24x50.
Want would be the best scope base, 20 or 40 moa?

20 MOA would probably be best for a .308. The max range you'll get out of it before the bullet goes subsonic is about 1300 yds and 20 MOA will get you to there no problem while preserving your ability to zero the scope at 100 yds.

The "best" in mounts is subjective and can get very expensive with some of the high end stuff. I'll tell you what works for me as a very good setup that won't break the bank. A talley 20 MOA rail:

Amazon.com : Talley Short Action Remington 700 20 MOA Picatinny Base, Black : Sporting Optic Bases : Sports & Outdoors

And Burris XTR tactical rings:

Amazon.com : Burris 420160 XTR 30-mm Rings (Low, Black) : Rifle Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

For your vortex viper PST with a 50mm objective the low rings are as high as you'll need.

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites, and there are a bunch of nice combinations depending upon how much you want to spend. The stuff I listed is very strong, well made, and relatively inexpensive without being cheaply made.

Caleb:

As Gary mentioned....which bases and rings are "The Best" is a very subjective thing.....and can range in money quite a bit. To protect your investment in your scope......try to stick with name brand manufacturers...not some imported knockoff stuff. Generally the higher priced pieces and / or name brands will have better tolerances with the machining of their products. This will help prevent issues with the proper scope functions and hopefully prevent scope tube damage.

I'll throw out a link for you:

Scope Base:
Remington 700, 722, 40x Short Action Picatinny Rail Scope Mount 20 MOA: EGW Gun Parts

For rings....Something like a Burris XTR, Leupold etc

Rings: for example
Burris XTR Xtreme Tactical Rings 30mm High 3 4" Height Matte Black 420164 | eBay

If you have a large budget for rings and bases....Take your pick form NightForce, Seekins, Badger, Farrell etc. I've not had to lap scope rings from the previous names listed.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Re: Mounting help please.

I commend Gary for his statement, as all preferences differ. Best is a word best not used :D

I'm a high end mount type of guy. I started with Burris Zee rings, nothing wrong with them. I have used a lot of XTR's & still have one set in use again, nothing wrong with them.

However, as my knowledge has grown, so has my (albeit self percieved) skepticism of cheap stuff.

The rings & base(s) are the only link between a precision rifle & a precision optic; do you really want to gamble on saving a couple bucks? I don't & I won't anymore. Again, preference.

Bases, it's picatinny rail or bust for me, no Talleys & no two piece bases. That's my preference. NightForce, Murphy Precision, Leupy MK4, Badger, USO etc. High quality, steel only (though i'd like to try the Murphy Titanium gear).

Rings, base material is not as important to me here as build quality & design. My first choice is ARC followed in no particular order by Seekins/Vortex, Badger Ord, NightForce, MK4, Murphy Precision etc.

Are the cheaper products useful? Absolutely, there are many shooters here having great luck with them. As for me, I prefer the piece of mind of the highest quality equipment I can afford.

t

Caleb... Sounds like you've got a nice rifle. I would encourage you to consider the option of getting a picatinny rail for your base... And then a good pair of qd rings, or at least rings that allow you to easily wrench them off and use your scope on another gun.

I'm getting up in years... And down in cash!! I don't know how much money I've spent on decent glass... 1 for each gun I own, and I own quite a bunch now. The problem is that I could have bought a couple of great scopes (for different hunting scenarios) and saved a ton of money... And had great glass on all my rifles. I mean... I can only shoot 1 gun at a time so why do I need 12 -13 scopes!

If you get a picatinny rail at least to mount your scope on, then you can move your scope to any other rifle you decide to outfit with a picatinny rail. Had I the option to do this when I was younger... I definitely would have. As it stands... I've just done it over the last couple of years and am very pleased with the results.

Just something to think about!!

I really like warne steel rings... But there are lots of good options out there, some already mentioned!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.