Model 700 Classic 7mm Weatherby Mag

Roland45acp

Hi all, newbie question here.
I found this while surfin the net the other day on auction arms.
It a new in box Rem Model 700 Classic in 7mm Weatherby Mag.
I am not familar with the Weatherby Magnum cartridige as far as its accuracy, or even ballistics, but I have a bro in kanas who swears buy the round.
Can anyone shed a little light on the rifle / round / accuracy/ for me?
also is $700.00 a decent price for a new in box 700 in this caliber?
picture-929.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Thanks to all who have the time to answer,
Roland

Nice rifle, and at least a decent price. The 7mm wby falls right between the 7mm rem and 7mmstw in real performance. I shoot both of those but do not own any weatherby calibers. I'd go with rl22, rl25, h1000, I 7828, or retumbo and 140-175 grain bullets with it. If it is a 1-10 twist you'll be stuck between 140 and 168 or so(some 7mm wby rifles are 1-10 and I'm not sure about the rem's). I'd start with the rl series and try h and then Imr if rl doesn't work. There is plenty of data online to start with. A 215 is your friend here.

We own several 7mm Wby rifles - though they are all Weatherby Mark V's.
I was shooting the Ultralightweight today, in fact.

As with any rifle, accuracy depends on the rifle, not the caliber.
The rifle I was shooting today has taken antelope out to 800+ yards with factory ammo ((Hornady 154 InterBonds) so there is definitely some long range capability.

I'm just getting ready to handload some 160 Nosler Accubonds for another one of the rifles using either H-1000 or H-4831SC. Currently I'm leaning towards the H-1000.

We've toyed around with buying a Remington in the 7mm Wby caliber to round out our collection (have a Sako already) but haven't yet done it.

I bought a new Rem 700 Classic in 300Wby many years ago. Very nice little rifle but if your 7mm is like my 300, it has a 24" barrel. It will suffer with velocity compared to a 26" of even 28" barrel. Also it will have a small raised piece at the forend of the stock putting upward pressure on the barrel to supposedly enhance accuracy. Mine never shot good until I had the action bedded and completely free floated the barrel. I guess it depends on what you intend to do with it, but for LR it will need some mods.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Is the cartridge case belted like the 7mm Rem Mags?
I am still on the fence about this rifle. It is a decent price but perhaps I should just stick with the 3006.
Roland

i have two of them one new in the box and the other is one of my everyday carry guns bought both brand new in 1991 or 92 when they were made. shoots 140 accu bonds to less then a inch still my new in the box was valued at 950 for my last insurance policy if that helps. oh i change my stock for a axiom recoil reduction system and made it even better.

Interesting thread! Hey Roland45acp, since you work at the gun shop that is selling this fine weapon, why did you have to look at it on-line? TOO FUNNY! Please see:

Reply From Roland45acp

Evidently ole' Roland makes a big habit of trolling many online gun websites to lure interested and unsuspecting buyers to his gun shop (Meyers Gun Shop in Bath, PA):

Info on Model 1895 Lmt Ed III 1 of 1000 w/ letter

Beware! I got scammed.

price check, NIB Mod 29 classic, 1 of 3000

ArizonaShooting.com • View topic - Colt Scout Arizona Ranger Commemorative

1st ed colt mustang new in box value - 1911Forum

1894 CCL 41 Mag Value Question

There are more... but I think this tells plenty about ole' Roland.

I have 2 remington 700 classics...a .257 Rbts which is Limited Edition and a 7mmRemMag converted to 7mmSTW...this year was not Limited Edition thus the changes....Both of my guns were immediately restocked to protect the wooden stocks...I have the plain Ole rem Plastic stocks that are bedded and floated....My 7mmStw will shoot a ragged hole at 100 yards and 2.3/8" groups at 500 yards...The .257 Rbts shoots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA at 100 yards... So they are not benchrest rifles,BUT they were not built to be, they were built to be the BEST factory hunting rifle ever built and I think they hit the nail on the head!!

The 7mmWbyMag I think was made in 1991 I used to have a list of the years and numbers made by year, but I lost it...Most years there were less than 2000 made ....I think, if I remember correctly...If anyone has this info somewhere on=line please let me know the address???? thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts