Model 70 Super Grade - 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM?

Austin Himself

Hello!

I have been considering purchasing a newly made Winchester Model 70 Super Grade to use for hunting. My current hunting rifles are a Remington Model 7 in .243, Browning A-bolt in .25 wssm and a single shot Browning b-78 in .25-06 This new rifle would be used to hunt Nilgai specifically and other larger-than-deer sized game. Many ranches here in South Texas require a .300 magnum to hunt Nilgai.

I need to decide between the .300 Win and the .300 WSM. In this rifle, the WIN comes with a 26" barrel while the WSM comes with a 24" barrel. Also, the WSM would be around 1/2 pound lighter.

Initially I will be shooting this rifle with factory ammunition. Eventually I will start reloading but it may not be for a few years. I will be forced to do so once I run out of .25 wssm ammo anyway, so when that time comes I will begin reloading for all of my hunting rifles.

I checked one out at a local gun store the other day and ended up talking with the owner about a Legendary Action Works rifle that they had in stock. I then stumbled upon some info on this forum about LAW and now I'm not sure which way to go. Both the Super Grade and the LAW rifle appealed to me.

What would you get? What else should I be looking at?

the 26" win mag will outperform the 24" wsm, but an apples to apples (equal barrel lengths etc) comparison gives a slight edge to the wsm with bullets up to 190 based on powder charge.

Your going to be talking about 100 fps gain with the 26" barrel. Personally I would go with the 1/2 lb lighter riffle. But that would be dependent on the terrain Im hunting.

If Im not climbing mnts then Id prob go with the 300 win mag. Brass is WAY easier to get

.300 win mag will do anything the short mag will do but it's not vice-versa !! Handles big bullets much better and their about even in factory rifle accuracy. My new pet peeve with center fires is if I can't wait walk out the door with 200 pieces of brass the rifle ain't walking out either !!

The Super Grades are now made in Portugal...if that matters to you. I just found an NOS Featherweight that is Made in USA, so there are still a few out there if you look around.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.