Mixing small lots of powder?

I have a 1100 grains of H1000 in one can, and 3400 grains in another. Which will load roughly 60 shells at 72.5g from my 7-300 win mag. I need to load a batch of 50 shells up. What say you about putting it in a bowl and mixing it all together? Yay or nay? I worked up a super accurate load with the one can that had little over 1/2#...I have a 1000 yard shoot saturday and need to load up 50 shells, so that lies my dilemma. I am going to hit the range at least once, if not twice to see what it's going to do before I head out saturday to the 1K shoot. I need to start buying 8# kegs of this $hitt...I realize I'll probably have to fine tune a couple few tenths of a grain here or there, that's why I'm going to hit the range a couple times before I head out. Just wanted to hear some of your guys thoughts anyway.
Some lots are hotter then others I'd load a couple rounds of each get the 1100 gn batch velocity same as your 3400 batch and should be fine but I may have to tune it down a bit

I have a 1100 grains of H1000 in one can, and 3400 grains in another. Which will load roughly 60 shells at 72.5g from my 7-300 win mag. I need to load a batch of 50 shells up. What say you about putting it in a bowl and mixing it all together? Yay or nay? I worked up a super accurate load with the one can that had little over 1/2#...I have a 1000 yard shoot saturday and need to load up 50 shells, so that lies my dilemma. I am going to hit the range at least once, if not twice to see what it's going to do before I head out saturday to the 1K shoot. I need to start buying 8# kegs of this $hitt...I realize I'll probably have to fine tune a couple few tenths of a grain here or there, that's why I'm going to hit the range a couple times before I head out. Just wanted to hear some of your guys thoughts anyway.
Why don't you call Hodgdon and see what they tell you!
Personally I trust what the manuals advise, NEVER MIX POWDERS, HTH

Think a full grain or 2 is really neccessary? They're already a middle of the road load anyway, not anywhere close to MAX, I dont hot rod this rifle... Velocity is 2950-3000fps with the 180g ELDMs from a 28" barrel. I was thinking to just load 3 up at 72 and 3 at 72.5 and see what happens for starters. I shot two separate 3 shot groups at 300 yards during development and they measured .35" and .7" so I know they should do at least 1/3 MOA. I need 40 rounds for the shoot, so that only leaves me around 10-20 shells to figure it out. And no, they're not from the same lot, but H1000 has a pretty good reputation for being fairly consistent lot to lot no? I'm gonna hit the 1K range in the morning, so I'll let y'all know how it goes anyway.View attachment 204715

WHAT!!! on your phone???

He doesnt have enough in one lot to load the 60 rounds he needs so hes obviously afraid the 2 lots will shoot differently in his match. I wouldnt chance it either.
So hence mix them together and run a short test.
I think he means load the unknown powder and chrono it. As he should already have data on his know powder. If it's an accurate Chronograph then go test 7 rounds at 600 and and ballistic solver app will do what you'll likely end up doing regardless. Or just mix and chrono from 600. Either way your using a ballistic solver. Better the devil ya know. Just my 2c

Think a full grain or 2 is really neccessary? They're already a middle of the road load anyway, not anywhere close to MAX, I dont hot rod this rifle... Velocity is 2950-3000fps with the 180g ELDMs from a 28" barrel. I was thinking to just load 3 up at 72 and 3 at 72.5 and see what happens for starters. I shot two separate 3 shot groups at 300 yards during development and they measured .35" and .7" so I know they should do at least 1/3 MOA. I need 40 rounds for the shoot, so that only leaves me around 10-20 shells to figure it out. And no, they're not from the same lot, but H1000 has a pretty good reputation for being fairly consistent lot to lot no? I'm gonna hit the 1K range in the morning, so I'll let y'all know how it goes anyway.View attachment 204715
Should make little or no measurable difference in your case....

Hes got enough to load 60 rounds needs 50 if he tests the small lot doesnt work now he has to test again after there mixed now he's borderline to even have enough to load the 50 rounds if hes gotta test twice.

Ya know honestly I have no idea how far apart they are, but if I had to guess, at least a year or two...I had the one can filled to the top when I had the rifle built 6 years ago by the rifle builders 8# keg, so it was 2# or a little more, and the other can I believe was from my 338 EDGE which was around the same time frame. Those 2 containers are way older than the new ones. All the other H1000 I have has been bought in the last year or two, I just dont want to tap into it until these other 2 containers were gone.
I have mixed the same powders from different lots for my 338 Edge on many occasions, but I drop the load back just a couple grains & run them through your chrono & Squint on the first shot... being really slow powders, they seem to be reasonably consistent from lot to lot..Good luck with it & your shoot....

If they are from the same lot, it won't make any difference. You could just pour one can into the other and use them.

I once mixed five different powders to brew-up a batch for reloading .223Rem in an AR-type with the A2 stock. I knew what was the predominant powder, so I just loaded down a few grains from the book and shot the helsinki out of that stuff. From a rear bag and a machine rest, it actually shot a little under one MOA out of a 26" bull barrel that had a free-float tube on it. It was good stuff, but it's long gone these days...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.